Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irishsax72

Old Windows- Make your own patterns?

irishsax72
15 years ago

I'm new to this and to the site, but I have "inherited" 20 old windows from my grandmother's house and I really want to use them for art. Does anyone out there paint their windows for indoor use (leaving the frame and panes intact) and make their own patterns from existing photos? Also, any experience with Gallery Glass products for faux stained glass effects? Thanks!

Comments (17)

• junkinthetrunk
    15 years ago

Saw these at a flea market
    {{gwi:167173}}

{{gwi:167176}}

{{gwi:167179}}

• caroleena
    15 years ago

these are my dream project! i have the old windows but not an artistic bone in my body! i can draw stick figures ..... lol...and they don't look particularly good. i have considered stenciling, rubber stamping, and the stained glass kits but the kits are pricey!
    woe is me...

• nursetina
    15 years ago

I am new here as well, but have been reading posts for a while. I have used the gallery glass paints for applying to a lighted glass block. Paint the design on the glass, or they sell these special sheets, you can paint the design on then peel it off. They seem to hold up well, although have not had it outside yet. I am planning one with a flag on glass block, just as soon as I finish a few other projects.
    I found tons of really nice patterns on line.
    Good luck
    Tina

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Oh my, those are gorgeous! I love the flowered ones. I would have gladly paid $40 for one of those. Now if I could only paint ...

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

I painted one with stained glass paint. I used painters tape on the back for the straight line patterns. I have another I want to make....one day! :)........to hang in the living room, from a picture I found of a real stained glass window. I bought most of the paints at a yard sale,so it was cheap for me. This one is for the front porch.

{{gwi:167182}}

• weave1022
    15 years ago

My new outdoor window is of plexiglass and stained glass pieces and a few beads.

I love all the windows shown here!

Here is a link that might be useful: Stained Plexiglass

• irishsax72
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the pics and the suggestions. Beautiful windows! I think I'm starting to get more of a handle on these things - after starting the clean-up process! ;o) What tools do y'all usually use in removing panes, old caulk, paint, etc?

• goldiemn
    15 years ago

I've got some old painted windows on my Picturetrail site. If the link doesn't work, the member sign-in name is GoldieMN. I use PermEnamel paints although I would think you could use regular housepaint, too. I mean, can you wash off any of that paint when you get it on your windows??? LOL

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/227338

• irishsax72
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Holy cow! That's exactly what I was imagining doing myself! What beautiful work! I love the florals especially. Where do you usually get your PermEnamel paints? Hardware store, craft store...? And do you strip the old paint off and take out the panes before painting, or leave as is and just clean it up? What's your process? I love the way your windows came out! Thanks so much, goldiemn!

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Somewhere, maybe in our inspiration album?, on this site there are windows with stain glass pieces and glass globs glued to them. Then they are grouted in dark grey or black which looks like solder. They look just like "real" stained glass, but because they are attached to glass its relatively easy. They could be on the stained glass forum, not sure. I always thought I could try that because even tho I can't draw worth a darn, I could probably follow someone elses stained glass pattern.
    kathy

• carolinagirl13
    15 years ago

though's are neat windows!!!! oh my thats such a cool idea:) thats very artistic...i think thats how y'a spell it;]....

• ohgirl
    15 years ago

Weave your painted screen door is beautiful!!!!!!!
    How did you do the beads on glass? Please reply!!!

• jamnjelly
    15 years ago

I absolutely love the pink flowers painted in the last windows. They are all so beautiful and if I saw that anywhere I would definitly get one for myself. I wish I could paint. Now I have window envy. aaagghh.

• goldiemn
    15 years ago

Thanks, Irish. I get PermEnamels from Michael's Crafts. First wash glass, apply PE Conditioner, and paint. Usually takes me a number of coats to get opaque coverage. Others use regular acrylics but those can scratch off. I do not remove the glass. You can tape the wood to prevent painting on it.
    Happy to answer any other questions!
    Carol L.

• grittymitts
    15 years ago

My painting skills are limited to walls so I bought 'n cut up a lacy "plastic" curtain & put it on back of mine- pulled them over to each side as if they were tied back. They've held up for nearly 5 years. Put one on end of a shed. On the long blank back side of the bldg. I hung three more like it...one of which had lower pane broken- on that one, I used Marine Glue to add a $1. store rubber/plastic? baseball to look like it caused the break.

Brings lots of smiles.

Suzi

• leveta
    15 years ago

Hi, type in windows at the search box and you will have more then enough ideals. These women are penomonal....

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Goldiemn, I love your painted windows! Would love it if you would post your album link over on the DecorativePainting forum too. I know those gals are always looking for neat ideas.

Luvs

Here is a link that might be useful: Painting forum