Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sangaree

presenting SallyAnn and the Blues Brothers

Purplemoon
14 years ago

LOL, here's the crazy birds.

{{gwi:167934}}

And here's the freeby aluminum bakers rack repainted black with a wood shelf in place of the missing glass one.

{{gwi:167935}}

hugs, Karen

Comments (34)

• nanagrandma
    14 years ago

"I want some of those" Beautiful creative painting. Love the hats on them. What fun to be walking up your walkway and come upon these Flamingos, I LUV IT!

Great redo on the bakers rack! Can't wait to see what you put on it!

NanaGrandma

• coloredthumb
    14 years ago

You've done it again! Karen I am so in AWE of the Blues Bros and Sally Ann is gorgeous of course. She is that subtle shade of sexy purple. The bakers rack came out nice too.

CT

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

GREAT STUFF!!! Love the red hatter and of course Jake and Elwood!

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

ROFL I need some red hat flamingos for my dads garden HAHAHAHA LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!She needs a big ugly purse heeheee and some cotton hose ahahahah sorry can't stop now. The men there were jealous of the red hats havin all the fun they started a green hat club!

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

OMGosh!!! How wonderful are they??? The Blues brothers are just perfect!! And Sally Ann is great too! Your bakers rack turned out very nice!

• ncshabbybeach
    14 years ago

The bakers rack looks great!!!! I wanna come visit Sally Ann! LOL I love them all! Great Job!!!!

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

How adorable those turned out! The hats are perfect, the colors are perfect. Makes me forget they're actually flamingos! And the baker's rack really turned out great. Very fun project, Karen! ~tenderlee

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Your birds are FANTASTIC!!! I am sooo jealous. I really have to get some.

You've worked very quickly on that baker's rack also. Looks good. Hope you post it when you've decorated it. That will be fun for you.

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

"It's 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses!....................HIT IT!!!"

AWESOME Blues Brothers, purplemoon! Ya' did good, girl! And I luv Sally Ann, too! You may not grow live plants, but your gardens CERTAINLY do not lack attention!!! Great bold colors!

The rack will be a wonderful addition when you fill it up! Ohhh, I'm like susieroses, I see "mosaic" or tiles on that board...but I love the "black!" TFS! Jeanne S.

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Everyone! You made me feel so good. I just want to say...once my kids have me locked up...its been real nice knowing y'all.
    LOL.

I had choice between a red or a pink hat for Sally Ann, but I figured she was definitely a Red Hat Lady. Jake, the brother on the right, kept tossing his hat off. But a little sticky glue convinced him he looks cool in it. Plus it was 115 today, so I think he ended up appreciating the hat.

Yes, I know the board shelf would look great mosaic-ed, and someday it might happen. (did you know Someday is a day of the week? It is on my calendar!). I still want to mosaic a bowling ball first and see how that goes.
    I've got lots of stuff in my garage to play with decorating the bakers rack, I'll take a picture when its done.

hugs, Karen

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

Who started this party without music?

One 'Red Hatter' for two 'Blues Brothers'. Lucky little SallyAnn!

Karen- SO-O-O-O-O-O C0-0-0-0-0L!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Soul Man

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Sally Ann & Blues Bros look great now that they are "dressed" to play the blues!! Baker's rack came out nice! Jan

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Karen, Love the Blues Bros. Too cute. And SallyAnn weel there are no words good enough for this Babe. I love bakers racks, and this one turned out great.

Kat

• susiesunshine
    14 years ago

T H A N K ~ ~ ~ Y O U ~ ~ ~ MS Karen ! ! ! !
    That picture is = $ $ $ Priceless $ $ $ ~ !!!

Love it ~ LoVe It ! ! ! * LOVE * IT ! ! !

& MsSusie Rose *** Thanks for the link to
    the Blues Bro = Soul Man song video ! ! !

Gave me a Proper Pick Me Up for TODAY ! ! !

Garden Junker Page & Each other with these Creative Minds... to CHEER US UP & Keep us going ! ! ! & ToGETHER ~ ~ ~ We Will Make it through these Trying times..... It's REAL ~ R \* E \* A \* L ~ REALLY ~ hard to keep an Ole.... Garden Junker Down.... why... heck... we'll just slap some Blue Paint on some plastic flamingo's and find some ole black hats at Michael's & Some wild Black Shades... at the TS and get... a Partner... dress her up with a Red Hat from the GOODWILL store... Get a YOU TUBE VIDEO of BLUES BRO "SOUL MAN" and HONEY>>>>>>> L @ @ K ~ ~ ~ OUT>>>>>> It's PARTY TIME ! ! ! GO JUNKERS ~ ~ ~ GO ! ! ! God Bless ! SusieSunshine \*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\* Thanks for helping cheer me up & Remind me.... we are ~ All ~ going to make it !!! We Have to stop & Smell the Roses... along the way... THANKS SUSIEROSE ! ! ! & We have to Be CREATIVE ~ THANKS MS PURPLE MOON ! ! and We Certainly have to SHARE our FUN with FRIENDS! \*\*\*\*\*\* GOD ~ IS ~ G O O D ! ! ! !
  • cindee11461
    14 years ago

OMG I love SallyAnn and The Blues Brothers. I just got two flamingos from my Dads GF. No legs but I can make something to hold them up. I want to paint them up too! Yours are just to cute.
    The bakers rack turned out awesome as well!!!!
    What paint/color did you use for the flamingos?

• grandmathyme
    14 years ago

I was starting to get depressed thinking I have filled my yard with art and don't have room for anything else. THEN, I came here this morning and have seen so many cute ideas and suddenly empty spaces just perfect for the various projects I'm seeing here have popped up.

I have just the place for a gaggle of colorful flamingos...and plastic flamingos are a family joke, so they'll be perfect! I LOVE your blues brothers...where did you find your sunglases?

I'm off on a flamingo hunt later today!!! Thanks for sharing!

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cindee, for the Blues Brothers, I used Fusion's dark blue shade. It turns out almost cobalt on many things, and was a nice shade on these guys. I had Krylon purple for Sally Ann. I wasn't sure about it working on plastic, so I used a primer on her first. Worked great. Dang B. Brothers paint chips if you blink at it. (The 'maker' did a great protective coating obviously, like the eBay description said.) I've used Fusion on plastic for years and it's always worked perfect. I just recently noticed it can be used on ANY thing.

HD or Lowes has thin silver rods like the legs you could get. I've used them on other stuff to put in the ground.

GrandmaT, I'm embarrassed to admit what I paid for the sunglasses. Michaels didn't have just the glasses, like I figured. But they had visor hats with them attached to the brim. So I splurged and got two and snipped the glasses off. I can always slip the visors on some other critter someday, LOL.

I'm thinking Sally Ann may need red beads now. Or red and purple shiny ones. Her old set of green 'n grey don't really stand out.
    hugs, Karen

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

Karen!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get a pair of red high heels (I used to have some 4" beauties- ahhhhhhhh, glory days). Make a tiny hole in each shoe and stick SallyAnns legs through the holes!!!!!! She will really be "cookin'" now.

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

hats where did you find the red hats or did I miss that?

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tanya, you "missed that". Michaels had the little red hats and little pink ones. In the doll making section is where I found the stuff. They also had black hats in the "country bumpkin" style. I got a pair of them too, as I wasn't sure which I wanted to use on othe Blues Brothers. I went with the right kind, LOL.

Oh, Grandma T, never think your yard has no more room...trust me, we all find room when we want to add some GJ. I keep saying no more totems. Eighteen or twenty is enough. Ha. I am trying hard to focus on clearing out the stash of stuff in the garage, which means I need to stay out of Goodwill. Not sure I can do that.

hugs, Karen

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

Well DRAT! I talked to the manager and he said they HAD them in early spring and sold out POO!

• akup_a
    14 years ago

I wanna "get-down" with them Blues Brothers! They are dancin' in style.
    Great job on all three lovelies.
    Vickie

• jitterbug4756
    14 years ago

Purplemoon your blues brothers are great!!! Ive always loved Jake & Elwood & you've got the boys down pat...and sally ann is a hoot, and I think some purple & gold beads would set her off like you said...also love Susies idea of the red high heels...rarwww..shes a cougar (older woman who likes younger men!)

• use2bcapecodr
    14 years ago

OMG, Karen...you are a riot!!

Love 'em!!

~Sandy~

• laurastheme
    14 years ago

The baker's rack is great, but I LOVE...LOVE...LOVE the Blues bros. and Sally Ann!!! I've never been crazy about flamingos, but I fell in love with these.

• daisyme
    14 years ago

Oh, your birds crack me up! What a WONDERFUL way to update pink flamingos! Great project!

• nicole__
    14 years ago

Funny....Funny stuff!!! Now....the dollar store has $1 sunglasses if you ever need another pair....and jewelry....say mardigras beads? lol Good job!

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

Love those Blues Brothers,and that bakers rack ain't too shabby either.TFS,Good job.
    Kathi

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

What a trio, they are fantastic! You did a great job on them, love all the details. Bakers rack looks lots better dressed in black too, glad you were able to get it painted up in spite of the heat. Luvs

• kudzukween
    14 years ago

LOL those are great! They do have the perfect hats :D And I'm jealous of the baker's rack, I'd mosaic it!

You could probably find some other hats and spray paint them red for Red Hat Lady hats....check to see if they need a primer first; I've spray painted things like that and all it did was suck up all the paint!

Happy Flamingo Day!
    cherry/kudzu

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

Those are just too cute! I love how the Blues Brothers turned out and Sally Ann sure is a looker. I bet you'll have lots of fun finding accessories for her (like rhinestone encrusted sunglasses) and, what I'm sure will be, a gaggle of her friends. Awesome job!

• sorie6 zone 6b
    13 years ago

OMG those are the cutest!! I've got to find some. I've not seen them around here!! But I'm not a shopper! Love Sally Ann. TFS.

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was surprised to see this old post pop up. But fun re-reading all the comments on my silly birds.

Sorie, I got the pink flamingos off eBay and very cheaply.
    I bought the "Blues Brothers" as a pair.
    If you check the GJ Inspiration albums, the Misc one,
    lots of great painted flamingos. The first is on bottom of page in link, then next page has the rest.
    I'd like to do a few more. LOL.

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: GJ Misc Inspiration

• a.girl.named.max
    13 years ago

Fun, fun, fun.

A Girl Named Max

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz