Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Warning about using Ironite on your lawns

Posted by lara 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 07 at 18:40

Someone recently mentioned the use of Ironite on their lawns to quickly make it greener. I was curious, so I googled a search and found this. Seems like it can cause cancer and it's also very dangerous when exposed to young children. Now, I'm not so sure I want a green lawn taht badly. What's your opinion on using Ironite products?

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/risk/studies/ironite.htm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Warning about using Ironite on your lawns

Lara
Thank You for the heads up.Once all the work is done hauling away stuff,I was going to start working on getting grass to grow.The sugestion for ironite was for me.I'll be doing alot of research before I put anything down.Our soil is dry,redclay and will need alot done before anything other then weeds can grow.
Thanks again
Julie
P/S My Mother has 15 greatgrands under the age of 10. Safety is always an issue around here! :o)

o
RE: Warning about using Ironite on your lawns

Ironite - dog died of cancer. I used Ironite in my yard some in the summer of 2008 and about every few weeks, as Ironite instructed, in the summer of 2009, and followed all safety instructions. My large mixed breed dog - 6 years old - was diagnosed with high-grade fibrosarcoma in July 2010. Though the tumor was removed, it returned and the cancer spread and he was put down in Oct. 2010. Do NOT use this product. I also used other pesticides/herbicides. I've gone organic now, and urge you to do the same for the well-being of your family, children and pets. The medical literature makes this clear. The risk is real and my beloved dog is dead. Government studies show Ironite's arsenic and lead exceeds safety standards. Arsenic has been shown to cause cancer. The herbicides or pesticides may have caused it, but also possibly Ironite. A regret I'll live with the rest of my life. I feel compelled to warn others.

Here is a link that might be useful: one of many evaluations on Ironite showing hazards

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here