Wine bottle hummingbird feeder

sprout_wi
13 years ago

Drink up, but leave the bottle!!

Here is a link that might be useful: hummingbird feeder

Comments (21)

• mmebrady
    13 years ago

very nice!! My family and I just got back today from "wine country", and you wouldn't believe what they charge in some of the chichi gift shops for the simplest wine bottle crafts!! You could make a mint!!

• sprout_wi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's a closer look

Here is a link that might be useful: close-up

• sorie6 zone 6b
    13 years ago

Very clever! How did you attach the marbles? TFS.

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Great leaves! And your "grapes" sure are a pretty color. I like your hummingbird feeder better than the homemade one I saw in Birds & Blooms magazine. Keep those pictures coming!

• atokadawn
    13 years ago

Where did you get the feeder stoppers?

• sprout_wi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The stoppers are from a company called Aftosa. Do a search for hummingbird feeders Aftosa.

• sprout_wi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sorie- I used E-6000 glue.

• nonacook
    13 years ago

I love this!!!!
    As usual, I have the bottles, the flat glass marbles and the copper tubing. Just need to MAKE myself start working.....gettin old is not fun, just makes for shorter days-LOL. Work in the morning, and rest in the afternoon.

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

Simply beautiful ! Is that copper tubing or heavy gauge wire ? If that's tubing - I bow to you oh guru of bending ! LOL

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

That's so cool, beautiful job.

• sprout_wi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL at TMG, It IS copper tubing. I got it at Menard's in a 3 foot packaged roll. I went for the lightest gauge. It really wasn't hard at all. I more less kneaded it into shape to keep it from crimping. It probably takes about 5 minutes to shape it around the bottle. Then I trim each end for length.
    -Sprout

• laurastheme
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Where did you get the leaves?

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Just beautiful!!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Very pretty, sprout! Am sure you make the hummers very happy with this feeder! Copper looks wonderful & you did a great job bending for your bottle...attaching the leaves with glass blobs was a great idea. TFS! Jeanne S.

• sprout_wi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Those half-round marbles cover a multitude of sins. a glob of glue, a crimp in the tubing, a leaf stem end, sticking out - I slap a marble on it and voila - instant fix that ties the whole thing together.

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

Most gorgeous. the hummers will be dining in style!!

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

That looks like it came from an expensive gift shop, very elegant. Your my kind of woman, I think glass globs can hide or fix anything.
    Frou

• sprout_wi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

laurastheme- I thought I answered your question about the metal leaves, but maybe not.

I usually find wall-mount candle holders or plaques at GS, GW - just about anywhere. The leaves snap right off. These leaves I found at a garage sale a few weeks ago, the candle holder was 25 cents and had nine metal leaves.

I collect Kosta Boda candle holders that look like ice balls. A tea light candle fits inside and lights up the 'ball of ice'. I have a half dozen and set them on my dining table at Christmas time. They are $25 at Macy's. I got one at the sale for 50 cents.

I also bought an oil painting on a canvas board for a quarter, from these same people, as well. I had a mat and frame at home and now it hangs in my kitchen - aqua and yellow to match my kitchen. I LOVE IT!! The people made a face when I raved about the painting. It looks like a combo between a Monet and Van Gogh. My sons and I all paint, but for some reason this one grabbed me. One man's trash, yada, yada...

Sorry to rant, the thrill of the hunt, and all that. YOU know.
    -Sprout

• pondgal
    13 years ago

That is really cool looking. Good job! :)

• Olgita
    12 years ago

Just found this site. Love your feeder. 8ga is the lightest tubing I found, but am having a hard time making the small coils around the neck of the bottle. What size did you use? Thank, Olga

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

The feeder is beautiful. I love the copper tubing and would like more instructions too! As it is now leaves are on my list of things to collect.

A few months ago Chere made a simpler version using a plug for salad oil bottles. I am bringing it up again because it is a very inexpensive and easy to find alternative feeding tube instead of one made specifically for hummingbirds. You can see they like it by her pictures!
    Here is her description, when she says she siliconed something, I believe she means the red thing that slides over the tip had to be siliconed.

"Posted by chere 7 (My Page) on Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 20:47
    I used a plug for bottles you put oil in. I had to put silicone around it to make it seal tight. I let it dry over night and then put the feeder together. I then melted a hole in the cap. I got them 2 for a dollar at True Value hardware. That is where I spent the 50 cents. Try to find ones with red tops.
    Chere "

Here is the link for visual people.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Chere's wine bottle feeder