Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coca Cola Cooler Planter

Posted by georgiahomegarden none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 20:21

I picked up an older coca cola cooler from a yard sale today. I plan to make a planter box out of it. Any ideas on what would look good growing in it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to cooler on my blog.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coca Cola Cooler Planter

That will be a fine looking planter! My ideas might not work for Georgia weather. But you need both height and something to trail over the edges in something that big I believe. Unless you are in a very windy spot then tall could be a problem.
Lobelia or petunias to trail over (petunias might fit the scale better), tall dahlias in the center maybe with a tall grass, profusion zinnias for the mid range. Or that green and white varigated trailer for the edges.
Have fun! I'm jealous.
Kathy

o

Concretenprimroses, thanks for your suggestions. I never thought of growing something to trail over the sides. Thanks for the idea.

o

That would make a cute planter, but have to considered having it re-furbished? I saw a very similar one on one of those pawn shows that, when re-hab'd - was worth big bucks!
My fav trailing plants are wave petunias or sweet potato vine. Have fun!

o

Great planter, needs some trailing plants &some red & white & maybe purple flowers in it! Enjoy!! Jan

o

gramma - I thought about it, but from my research I don't know if this one would be worth it because it is missing the top, all the electrical, etc. I love watching Pawn Stars and American Pickers too. :)

sunnyca - thanks for the suggestions.

o

• Posted by arcy Mn zn3-4 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 20:11

Because it is insulated I put perennial ferns in mine with Sedum and I add annuals for color. I don't have to replant the entire thing as the perennials survive our winter due to the insulation.

o

Totally different idea. Looks to me as though it would make a good place for pond plants. Already metal and insulated. The piece du resistance would be a fountain made with a coke bottle or a coke bottle with a chocolate colored plant coming out of it. I sometimes see things others don't. In other words my imagination runs wild. Ha Ha

Betty

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here