Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobbie50_gw

bedspring swing

bobbie50
14 years ago

Can you provide info on old-fasioned bedspring swing suspended between 2 trees using rope and pulley system?

Comments (9)

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Sorry Bobbie....I guess no one here is familiar with the swing you are asking about. Have you tried doing a search on the Garden Web forum in general?

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

I may have found what you are talking about. Search around on this web site and let me know if this is it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Check out this Cool Link

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

Thank you for that link SuzRose! That page is now bookmarked. I saw this post yesterday and it got my imagination going, first time I've ever seen one of these. My grandsons wouldn't be able to stay out of it, and wish I had a covered porch big enough for one. That beautiful golden Sunbrella fabric would work beautifully, wouldn't it Suz? Some of the new ppl might not have seen your purty porch curtain, could you post it again?

Makes me wonder about using other possiblities like a mini trampoline as a base perhaps, if you could find a retangular one.

I also use a trampoline spring to hang one of my heaviest hanging pots. Works great. Very strong.

Been lookin' for an old rusty box springs to make a garden trellis out of too. I think it is ShySue that has one in her garden and it looks great covered in vines.

Thanks for sharing this great idea, Bobbie, I love to come across new ideas! (new, but old, that's even better!) ~tenderlee

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

I am including a pic of my wooden swing that was built to accommodate a twin sized mattress. It does not have the recycled charm and beauty of a bedspring summer bed. However, I think a regular wooden swing pattern could be altered to duplicate one.

I tried to email you bobbie but your email link is not included on your page.

{{gwi:150753}}

tenderlee- I am including my photobucket link if anyone wants to see the SUNBRELLA FABRIC porch curtains. : )

Here is a link that might be useful: Susie's Photobucket

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

There was 1 at my grandmother's lake house when I was growing up. It was on a covered porch & top part was like Susie's & hung from 2 bolts from ceiling by the chains. Bottom part was more like in the link where the baby was propped up. It was enclosed on ends & back with solid metal of some kind. The thick pad was on old fashioned bed spring -cot sized. 2 of us used to lay side by side when we were about 6-8 yrs old plenty of room for us but not 2 adults laying down. I loved it & that was when they found me when it was time to eat! Other kids liked to swim- I lived across the lake, I went in every day in summer! Finally we got a hammock with it's own stand at our house- not like that swing-hard to get comfortable. You might find an old baby spring metal mattress thing but adult wouldn't be able to lay down in it. I don't know about a pulley system, doesn't seem like that would work too well. Needs to be even on both ends so you don't "feel" like you are sliding! Susie's is good & you could have plywood under the pad- make it thick as lot of people "plop" down on things like that. Sounds kind of like you want a hanging swing type thing trampoline on pulley with 1 chain if given a push might dump you out!!!Jan

• frankielynnsie
    14 years ago

I know where you can get a single sized spring base--a day bed has one. I just saw one 2 weeks ago at the thrift store. I wish I had seen this then.

• rowdyray
    14 years ago

Your bed spring swing brought back lots of good childhood memories. As a kid, I had a "true" bedspring swing. My Dad took a full size bed springs and tied it between 2 trees just like a hammock, he tied a "pull rope" to one tree so I could tug on the rope and make my swing glide in the breeze, my Mom threw on a feather tick and me and my basset hound, Lonesome spent many a hot summer night sleeping under the stars. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever slept in a better bed!

• sprout_wi
    12 years ago

Here's another great article with photos and instructions

Here is a link that might be useful: How to make a swinging bed

• nonacook
    12 years ago

Love the bed-swing idea, but I don't have a place to put it!
    I do have a bedspring trellis and a flat bedspring arbor. See my website....

http://members.cox.net/nonacook

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor