Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
concretenprimroses_gw

Junk Store finds

concretenprimroses
13 years ago

Well I went out to look for some more red white and blue. I found some - but I got other stuff too. Quite a haul really. I'm going to save the red white and blue to show once I've made stuff.

Here is the rest of it.

Plates to break for mosaic! I hope they pass the "tongue test" and can be used outside. The willowware saucers were 25 Cents each.

{{gwi:170506}}

Here is a close up of the pattern of the dishset. On the back is printed Mapoco ware Made in Czechoslovakia. I'm not sure they will hold up:

{{gwi:170508}}

Then all this other stuff too. The terracotta plant labels and little birds were 25 cents each too! And these saucers also. The glass goes with some I got at a thrift store about a month ago.

{{gwi:170510}}

Isn't the lily of the valley saucer sweet. Maybe useful for a plate flower.

{{gwi:170512}}

I had to sneak the plates for breaking into the cellar before dh got home from work. Fortunately I found a spot for them on my dishes to break shelf!

Kathy

Comments (19)

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

WOW! You did make a haul! Even though I love the mosaics, I would have a hard time breaking those dishes I think...they are gorgeous! Love the set you got and the Lily of the Valley one! Just beautiful!

• Deb Kozuszek
    13 years ago

Great buys on the plates! I really like the one with the little roses! And the lily of the valley! Can't wait to see what you make with them!

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

I did a teddy bear(made of terra cotta) mosaic(my first project!) with the willow ware and a friend of mine bought it from me at a craft fair, for her mother, who collects willow ware, and she still has it and Loves it! Ya did good girl! Good haul! Love the birds!!!

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Love the Willowware, the lily of valley saucer(did you see a matching cup?)little plant tags & cute birds. Lots to work with there! Jan

• cait1
    13 years ago

I am sooooo jealous!!!! What a GREAT haul! I scour and scour for plates all the time and found out I had quite a bit of competition in my area. ;-( No wonder I haven't been able to find anything.

I'm curious about the Mapoco plates. I tend to leave plates like that alone as I don't feel I'll get enough pieces from them. But then again I've never seen so many plates of one kind like you found. How small would you break those up? I'm an absolute fuss-pot when it comes to tessera (sp?) size.

You've done real well.

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Great finds! I have a hard time finding pretty plates around here too. A woman in line at Goodwill told me she has a friend who cut up plates and sold them on eBay for tessarrae. So I finally found out why I can't find any good plates now!

• marleneann
    13 years ago

Very satisfying to get a bargain.

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Lots of pretty plates, Kathy. I'd sure have a hard time smashing them. LOL. Love the little birds too. You scored good on stuff.

hugs, Karen

• rafor
    13 years ago

Wonderful finds! I went to a few stores yesterday and came home empty handed. Nothing special caught my eye, but I got to go exploring in areas I hadn't been before. Good thing I didn't have anything else planned for yesterday as I spent most of it just driving!!!!

• nonacook
    13 years ago

Nici plates! good prices.
    Love the lily of the valley piece.

• soonergirl1968
    13 years ago

Wow! You cleaned house!! What I wouldn't give to have the blue & white saucers!! They're always too high when I find them. Can't wait to see what you make!!

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Good gracious at the good deals. I'm with Karen, I'd have a hard time smashing them. I've collected a bunch of things to smash to do my first mosiac project, but I'm having trouble getting started. Your mosaics are always an inspiration to me.
    Frou

• kacram
    13 years ago

nice haul!

okay, I'll bite! what is the TONGUE TEST? lol

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tongue test: Klinger told me about this when I had the great good fortune to visit Calamity's house in Vancouver last year and met both Calamity and her.
    When you break a plate, put the break against your tongue. If it sticks then the plate is too porous to use for outdoor mosaics (absorbs too much water). I think as you get more experienced you have an idea before you do the test, but I'm still clueless!
    Luna, I've seen those broken plates on ebay. Very enterprising of the person who does it, but I'm glad she doesn't live near me!
    As for breaking the willow plates: you can see close up that most of them have small defects.
    Kathy

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

WOW! Great finds! The Willow will certainly be beautiful mosaiced! TFS! Jeanne S.

• gardengirl_nancy
    13 years ago

That Lily Of The Valley plate is just toooo gorgeous to break. It looks like it might be worth something. Can you really break that?!

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

I would probably use that entire Lily of the Valley plate in a mosaic piece instead of breaking it up. Although it would be pretty under a pot too.

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cait I don't know how the set of dishes will break. I'm pretty inexperienced, but at $6 for all of them I thought it was worth a try.
    I may not break the lily of the valley saucer. But they tend to disappear under plants cuz they get dirty (at my house at least!). I think it might be nice in a plate flower.
    Kathy

• kacram
    13 years ago

thank you!