Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a_girl_named_max

Waterfalls using a recycled patio table top

a.girl.named.max
10 years ago

Hopefully this isn't a repeat of a posting I tried earlier.

I would LOVE to know how to make this waterfall out of a recycled glass patio table top. I would start with a bistro size table top.

Has any made one of these waterfalls or know how to make one?

My drill press and I are chomping on the bit. (Pun intendeda.)

Comments (30)

• Calamity_J
    10 years ago

I would think you need to dig a hole, put rubber liner in, put a grate over, cover with rocks, and take a table and create a stand for it, and wrap a clear hose around the table that you have punctured holes in and hook up a pump to it! I just cast some cement leaves(rhubarb), and will be making a fountain too!

• diggery
    10 years ago

Looks like a basic disappearing water feature. A water reservoir is sunk in the ground. Any container will do as long as it's water tight as it won't be visible. It needs to large enough in circumference to catch the flow of water from the glass.

Measure copper tubing to fit & drill pinholes along the length which will be the top portion when assembled. Place a fountain pump in the water basin & run the tubing into the copper tubing. Hard to tell how the glass is secured to the tubing - looks like there may be tabs (?) of some sort around the perimeter - or how it's secured upright but that's the basics.

When I get a chance, I see if I can find you a link for specifics on the fountain part if you need it or you can just google 'disappearing water feature'. NOTE: you will need to add water to the basin occasionally as it evaporates & you'll need good flow around the pump.

Hope this helps. I'm sure with your talents you'll figure out the securing part. Good luck!

blessings,
    ~digger

• diggery
    10 years ago

Oh yeah, the grate is important. Leave it to calamity to never miss a detail! (this is why I don't do tutorials - I always manage to leave out an important step, lol)

• Marlene Kindred
    10 years ago

Very cool! Hope you get to build yours!

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

That's beautiful. Good luck and post a pic when you make yours!
    Kathy

• frankielynnsie
    10 years ago

Beautiful! I wonder if the glass builds up green algae or if they keep some bleach in the water.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    one important feature is be sure you have an easy way
    to access the pump and check the water level. They clog over time and the pump will burnout if dry Moving water evaporates at 3/4 times the rate of standing water
    In your zone would probably be a good idea to remove the pump during winter?? gary

• cadillactaste
    10 years ago

That is beautiful! Definitely share photos of your finished project...great inspiration to go on...as to reservoir maybe a kiddie pool? Cheap if it would work.

• rosiew
    10 years ago

I built a disappearing water feature, which I enjoy a lot. A tip: use a wet-dry Shop Vac with the paper filter removed to empty the reservoir as needed. Mine gets some gunk in it from little leaves/etc.

Love the idea of using a pebbled table top. May do that out front. Thanks for the great idea.

Rosie

• bootscootengal
    10 years ago

use my shop vac to empty my 3 tiered(?) birdbath. then I can dump it on my plants. never waste water in texas.

• cadillactaste
    10 years ago

Bootscootengal...we just got back from a mission trip in Honduras...they shut the water off to the village. It comes on every two days for a few hours. So...it makes me appreciate water conservation. May even do a rain barrel. Because we now understand what it is like to not have water. So good of you to find another purpose for the water removed from the birdbath. Kudos!

• bootscootengal
    10 years ago

I save the water from everything. ran a pvc line fron my central air and collect the "water" from the air conditioner. I get about 40 gals a day on average day. I lov my plants so I have to have a way to water without feeling like I am wasting water. also collect the water when I am waiting for it to get hot. fill dog bowls and water plants inside.there r lots of ways to save if ya just stop and think of them.

• a.girl.named.max
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Finding the right table top at the right price is proving to be more challenging than I thought. The table tops I've found are either too big, or they're not round or they have clear glass, or have a hole in the middle for an umbrella. Oh well, I have lots of other projects to work on until just the right table top shows up.

• garden2garden
    10 years ago

When I read the title I fully expected the waterfall to be horizontal. I pictured tabletops layed flat like steps with water running from one to the other . This is totally awesome. Hope you find your tabletop max.

• sorie6 zone 6b
    10 years ago

Super idea! Have you tried Craigslist for tables? Good luck.

• sorie6 zone 6b
    10 years ago

Super idea! Have you tried Craigslist for tables? Good luck.

• nonacook
    10 years ago

This is the first time I have seen a round glass
    used. I had wanted to do one with a glass
    shower door. Have the shower doors, but have
    not done anything with them....
    I love the round one!!!!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

I would go with one that has the whole in the middle for umbrellas, then find a beautiful glass globe or something decorative and mount it to the table over the hole using the GE silicone ll, I think it could be even prettier than the plain one. It would also affect the water falling around it. Even a really pretty flat rock might work.

• nonacook
    10 years ago

Just posted today on the following site-

Kiru.org

September under 'archives' on the right hand side
    of the blog-posted today, September 3

Gives instructions and photos of the fountain.

• nanatricia
    10 years ago

Here is the lady who did this

http://networkedblogs.com/OG0u2

• nanatricia
    10 years ago

Here is the lady who did this

http://networkedblogs.com/OG0u2

• a.girl.named.max
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much nanatricia for finding the instructions. I've been checking craigs list and still haven't found the right round table at the right price. I like the ripple in the glass.

Ravencajun, thanks for the suggestion about putting something in the middle to cover up the hole.

I'm back in school taking three more classes and working PT plus fall is here so that means lots of gardening, lawn work, and raking .... Sigh. Maybe next spring.

I am so thrilled to have the instructions. Thanks again

• a.girl.named.max
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much nanatricia for finding the instructions. I've been checking craigs list and still haven't found the right round table at the right price. I like the ripple in the glass.

Ravencajun, thanks for the suggestion about putting something in the middle to cover up the hole.

I'm back in school taking three more classes and working PT plus fall is here so that means lots of gardening, lawn work, and raking .... Sigh. Maybe next spring.

I am so thrilled to have the instructions. Thanks again

• pamelagrace
    10 years ago

It's snowing outside and I'm browsing. So glad to have found this and thankful that my dear hubby has saved some nice glass table tops over the last few years. Since being a welder he's made some nice tables, now he'll have to try something new.

• Janelle Marie
    8 years ago

Has anyone successfully built this for their back yard?

• scgrdnr25
    8 years ago

basic..No...Adorable yes. great eye

• steiconi
    8 years ago

looks to me like they used a section of soaker hose at the top, with solid hose on the sides.

• Shannon Pedersen
    2 years ago

Anyone know what size of pump one should use for this project?