Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wackyweeder

Windspinners Part Deux

wackyweeder
17 years ago

I was fooling around with my windspinners, trying to figure out where to hang them and not really happy with them, and it suddenly came to me,I have been looking at them all wrong! A quick pinch with the pliers and a stake, and viola! I love them now!

{{gwi:170843}}
{{gwi:170844}}
{{gwi:170846}}

Comments (15)

• nmgirl
    17 years ago

OK, where are the directions for these? I have to make some!!

• wackyweeder
    Original Author
    17 years ago

here is the original directions below....
    I just mounted them sideways ona stick(bamboo stake) I just shoved the wire down in the bamboo at a 90 degree angle from the spinner. I am thinking maybe I could make some like the yellow daisys you see out of pop cans too. now I need more more more since I have finally fallen in love with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: windspinners

• jlily
    17 years ago

How cute!! That's the way to do it. If you're not happy with your project--try something different. You put your own "spin" on the spinners!!JLily

• Bright199
    17 years ago

Those are darling.

• barefootin
    17 years ago

I'm gonna have so many winter projects to finish by spring, I won't even notice its winter...LOL Those are really cute!

Sherrie

• proudmary56
    16 years ago

I would like to have the directions to make the windspinners. Does anyone have the directions? Please.

• wackyweeder
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mary-It looks like the original directions are gone, I didnt do them or remember who did, but I will try to explain.
    You need 2 pop cans. remove the top of the pop cans down to the shoulder of the can, (so you are left with 2 aluminum drinking cups, is what they look like)Yo can do this easily with a sharp pair of scissors as the aluminum is easy to cut.
    {{gwi:170847}}
    Next you have to cut the spokes down the sides of the cans-I made a template that was a piece of paper that fit around the can, divided into 8 equal sections, a bit over an inch each, I mark the spokes at the top and bottom of the can, then cut them on a diagonal, mark onegets cut over to mark 2 and so on.IMPORTANT! each can has to be cut in opposite directions, one slants left to right and the next right to left, or they wont fit together and you will go crazy figuring it out.
    {{gwi:170848}}
    Now poke a hole thru the bottom of each can in the center. To attach them together its easiest to string them on a piece of wire facing each other, held up by coffee cans or what ever.
    Just fold the 2 spokes together forming a point and then do the next one till you are done. Then the gal who did them first hung them vertically, several stacked together on a wire. the use of a wooden bead between them acts as a bearing so they spin freely. I placed mine on a wire horizontally like a flower and attached to a stake.
    {{gwi:170849}}
    Its actually easy, its just hard to describe and the person who did them first did a much better job, I hope this helps
    {{gwi:170850}}
    This is the quick down and dirty version-If you have questions ask and I will try to help, I only had a few minutes this morning to try and explain.

• TwoMonths
    16 years ago

Great POTM project in the garden...they look like flowers.

The link did not work. I tried a search on this forum and on the internet and could not find any. Now I know I saw them and either printed out or saved but can not find. Any help anyone.

• wackyweeder
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The old link has fallen off the forum, but Iexplained the best I could above. I dont remmeber who did the originals, they had a nice pic tutorial

• proudmary56
    16 years ago

thanks so much. very well done. will begin tomorrow.

• TwoMonths
    16 years ago

I must have been posting my reply as you were posting the answer. Personally I think your pics and directions are great. Now the wind spinners on the FAQ are different styles. Can someone get these put on there so we will have access to them in the future? Great Job. June

• proudmary56
    16 years ago

I couldn't wait till tomorrow. Made one tonight. Thanks so much for the instructions.

• nonacook
    16 years ago

I remember a post about those also, and their kids were making them.....

• Adella Bedella
    16 years ago

I was making them with my kids. Were having computer problems on the other computer right now. I can't access the files to post them. I believe Texas Puddy Cat was the first person to post instructions. I improvised from there. Instead of just the traditional windspinners, I had the kids string pretty beads on some fishing line and attached that to the swivel. They looked a little fancier.

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

Great idea, I may have to try this since we always have empty cans!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz