Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imjustsam

Leaf Birdbaths

imjustsam
12 years ago

Last fall I started making some birdbaths out of my zucchini leaves. I started with a hosta leaf, but was pretty disappointed with the result. I think they would have been better with giant hosta leaves. Anyway, I spray painted them, but didn't like them too much. This summer I pulled them out to the backyard and started playing with some watered down paints to get into all the cracks and this is the result.

{{gwi:170961}}

{{gwi:170969}}

{{gwi:170971}}

Comments (19)

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

those are awesome sam!
    Love the colors. The darker in the veins is beautiful.
    Zuchinni leaves is a wonderful idea.
    Kathy

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

Now those are some leaves I wouldn't rake up! What gorgeous colors and I like the addition of color to accentuate the veins. Great job!

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Now you are inspiring, sam! Beautiful watered down colors! And Zucchini leaves! TFS! Jeanne S.

• kylslil1
    12 years ago

I LOVE the veins! They are so detailed. I love them! Nice work!

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Those turned out just beautiful! What a great job you did with the painting. WOW.

hugs, Karen

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

These are beautiful! What great colors!

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

Not much to say but --- Just awesome !!!

• laurastheme
    12 years ago

Those are gorgeous! What mix did you use for the casting?

• imjustsam
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@ Laura, I went the easiest way possible for the mix. I used a combo of portland cement and all purpose sand. Nothing fancy, just like my cooking, any more than 3 ingredients just gets too hard for me. hahahaha

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

They will look beautiful anywhere in the garden! Jan

• 9bark
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! The purple one is my favourite!

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

Those are absolutely wonderful. I love them all.

Marylee

• boston3381
    12 years ago

WOW !!

plz look at this sit..is this how you did it??

http://www.squidoo.com/garden-crafts-birdbath

• imjustsam
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@boston3381, that is pretty much right on how I did it. Mine is not that giant though. Those sunflower leaves were awesome. Like I posted before, I used portland cement instead of the acrylic patch that was suggested on that site. The lighter patch may be a good idea if your leaves are realy huge. Some people used the hypertofu mix as well.

• lynnencfan
    12 years ago

fantastic - you did a great job both forming them and painting them - it is on my to do list - TFS .....

Lynne

• Dottie B.
    12 years ago

Those came out great!!! I've been making some latex molds so that I can make them in the winter when there are no real leaves available. I am definitely going to add zucchini to my list. - Dottie

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

I was weeding & mulching today ... & this is my leaf birdbath...a big one...but I bought it some yrs back & leave it outside (cause it is heavy) but I 'flip' it over in the winter. Wanted to show you this because the artist used 'horseshoes' for handles...he also had some reinforcement of the cement in the center bottom.

{{gwi:170976}}

I also bought these welded kind of 'palm leaves' last yr from the same artist...I love 'em ...birds use this leaf as a birdbath. Jeanne S.
    {{gwi:170980}}

• nonacook
    12 years ago

I love the leaves!
    I first saw them on this wonderful site....

WWW.littleandlewis.com

• jeaninwa
    9 years ago

Nona, just had to pop in and say I was lucky enough to be able to visit the Little and Lewis garden, and meet these two amazing artists!

Their work is so inspiring!

And, Sam, your leaves are beautiful! Are you the same Sam that came to my "Junk-o-rama near Yelm WA forever years ago?

This post was edited by jeaninwa on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 22:53

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?