Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaf Birdbaths

Posted by imjustsam 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 9, 11 at 21:24

Last fall I started making some birdbaths out of my zucchini leaves. I started with a hosta leaf, but was pretty disappointed with the result. I think they would have been better with giant hosta leaves. Anyway, I spray painted them, but didn't like them too much. This summer I pulled them out to the backyard and started playing with some watered down paints to get into all the cracks and this is the result.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaf Birdbaths

those are awesome sam!
Love the colors. The darker in the veins is beautiful.
Zuchinni leaves is a wonderful idea.
Kathy

o

Now those are some leaves I wouldn't rake up! What gorgeous colors and I like the addition of color to accentuate the veins. Great job!

o

Now you are inspiring, sam! Beautiful watered down colors! And Zucchini leaves! TFS! Jeanne S.

o

I LOVE the veins! They are so detailed. I love them! Nice work!

o

Those turned out just beautiful! What a great job you did with the painting. WOW.

hugs, Karen

o

These are beautiful! What great colors!

o

Not much to say but --- Just awesome !!!

o

Those are gorgeous! What mix did you use for the casting?

o

@ Laura, I went the easiest way possible for the mix. I used a combo of portland cement and all purpose sand. Nothing fancy, just like my cooking, any more than 3 ingredients just gets too hard for me. hahahaha

o

They will look beautiful anywhere in the garden! Jan

o

• Posted by 9bark 3bto5a BC (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 9:39

Gorgeous! The purple one is my favourite!

o

Those are absolutely wonderful. I love them all.

Marylee

o

WOW !!

plz look at this sit..is this how you did it??

http://www.squidoo.com/garden-crafts-birdbath

o

@boston3381, that is pretty much right on how I did it. Mine is not that giant though. Those sunflower leaves were awesome. Like I posted before, I used portland cement instead of the acrylic patch that was suggested on that site. The lighter patch may be a good idea if your leaves are realy huge. Some people used the hypertofu mix as well.

o

fantastic - you did a great job both forming them and painting them - it is on my to do list - TFS .....

Lynne

o

Those came out great!!! I've been making some latex molds so that I can make them in the winter when there are no real leaves available. I am definitely going to add zucchini to my list. - Dottie

o

I was weeding & mulching today ... & this is my leaf birdbath...a big one...but I bought it some yrs back & leave it outside (cause it is heavy) but I 'flip' it over in the winter. Wanted to show you this because the artist used 'horseshoes' for handles...he also had some reinforcement of the cement in the center bottom.

Birdbath Leaf Mulched  7.11

I also bought these welded kind of 'palm leaves' last yr from the same artist...I love 'em ...birds use this leaf as a birdbath. Jeanne S.
Bird Bath Leaf Vignette 7.11

o

I love the leaves!
I first saw them on this wonderful site....

WWW.littleandlewis.com

o
Dragging up an old post

Nona, just had to pop in and say I was lucky enough to be able to visit the Little and Lewis garden, and meet these two amazing artists!

Their work is so inspiring!

And, Sam, your leaves are beautiful! Are you the same Sam that came to my "Junk-o-rama near Yelm WA forever years ago?

This post was edited by jeaninwa on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 22:53

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here