Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for a head....

Posted by marlene_2008 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 17, 11 at 21:30

My DH has been on a roll making spiders and other garden critters and even has his own Etsy site now (Garden Friends) if you want to check it out. He got this vase and has made the body of the spider but is at a loss as to what to use for the head. He would like it to be something steel that he can weld eyes and a mandible to...we've tried everything we had on hand at home. The whole spider with legs is a little over two feet long. Any suggestions from you guys??

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for a head....

Only steel thing I can think of is 'ball bearings'...might be costly...I don't know ...for one the size he needs. How would a doorknob work? There are metal ones...would that be too big? I'll think on it some more. Jeanne S.

o

door knob. ice cream scoop. soup ladle...trailer hitch???

o

Marlene- I went to Etsy and did a search on Garden Friends and several vendors were listed under that heading. How can I find your husband's site? Thanks-
-Sprout...(Linda)

o

An old soup ladle would be perfect if you can find the right size, just flip it so the cup is facing down, weld the mandibles to the ladle. You can usually find ladles, big ones at thrift stores too. Absolutely love the spider though! I am always telling the kids, Don't crush it! when we find them in the house, if they can't handle it's location, I have them scoop them up on a piece of paper and take them outside. *g* And I used to once be terrified of spiders!

~Bright Blessings!

o

Marlene, the spiders are incredible and i love the dragonfly also.
Linda, I chose Shops from the dropdown menu next to the search box, that only brought up 2 options and it was clear which was marlene's and her dh's.
Kathy

o

A big glass bottle stopper, but the parts would have to be glued

o

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I'd never thought of a soup ladle....that just might to the trick.

To find DH's Etsy shop, you go to the main page and right next to the search bar is a drop down menu...it shows "handmade" as the default. If you click on shops, then type in Garden Friends, only two come us as Kathy said and DH's is jkindred.

Thanks again!

o

I was going to suggest the big soup ladle but Ament beat me to it! I love John's awesome creations. I just might have to get one of those cute spiders.

o

sometimes just an outing to a garage sale or flea market can help you find what you need. Paula

o

One of those big jingle bells and a spring to fit it in the bottle/body. The ladle idea is also a good choice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here