Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grandma_cindy

What am I doing wrong?

grandma_cindy
13 years ago

I am using the GEII clear silicone for doors & windows. But it sure doesnt look very clear. Am I using too much, or expecting too much? LOL

{{gwi:171490}}

{{gwi:171494}}

Comments (11)

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Yes that is how it is. Not really clear. But it seems to be the best thing that lasts out doors on glass.
    Kathy

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

It seems to get less cloudy when it really cures ...
    ( days to weeks ) I get so flustered when I have that whitish goo showing around the edges. Sometimes I trim it off with a razor blade .... but most times , rather than risk ruining the integrity of the glue - I try to hide it - with beads ,gems,pearls...etc. I wish there was a good answer !

• tbledsaw
    13 years ago

You might try using a little less. It is a pretty strong adhesive once it dries.
    Another thing you might try is one of those new caulking tools they have out that help clean up the edges of caulk to give it a more finished look. They've got them at Lowe's for $10 right now.

• grandma_cindy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all. I know I wanted extra around the edges, to make sure no water seeps in, and I have started smoothing out the edges. I need to just look at it a little further away, instead of right up on it LOL
    My first totem, I used E6000, which does dry very clear. Guess that's what I was expecting.

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

you can keep a little dish of soapy water nearby and wet your finger then smooth the silicone. I don't usually bother, but I guess the appearance doesn't bother me.
    Kathy

• nmgirl
    13 years ago

Check the date on the tube of caulk, sometimes old caulk will do this.
    I think you're using too much caulk too fast. I have good luck using just enough to stick the pieces together and then letting that completely cure. Then I go with another layer to seal or reinforce the joint or whatever. It does take more time but I've always had good luck with it.
    If air can't get to the interior part of a caulk line it won't cure clear...if you're using clear caulk. If the caulk is really too thick it won't cure at all.

• rafor
    13 years ago

I've used clear aquarium sealant for totems. It stays clear and sort of flexible, seems to hold really well. Down side is that I have only found it in small tubes.

• grandma_cindy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gotcha nmgirl. Me, I'm always in too much of a rush LOL
    I will try to use less and see how that looks to me.
    Thanks ALL!

• laurastheme
    13 years ago

Looks like too much to me. There's not much that can be done about globs inside the glass, but for the outside I took off extra globs with a Qtip. Works real well.

• aka_strawberrygoat
    13 years ago

back in April, I had posted an idea of making ollas for the garden...
    the post was
    "another light bulb moment...lol"

if you do the search for this forum, under ollas, you should get it right away.
    I was making some of them for potted plants, so they would have the underground irrigation and not need to be watered as often.

{{gwi:135981}}

trying to find the tube around here was impossible, so luckily it showed in the picture, on the desk...
    it was the aquarium clear sealant of E6000..or whatever number it is, after the E..000
    directions said to put a a line on each piece, let it set for about ten minutes and then put them together.

the ones I made dried clear..I could still put another thin bead around the outside to reinforce the seal..probably more lines..it would be a choice..but little at a time dries clear.

{{gwi:135980}}

• laurastheme
    13 years ago

E6000 is super duper for inside. I've read that it doesn't hold up in sunlight, but I haven't tried it outside.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz