Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldcrafty

garden sparklers

oldcrafty
13 years ago

I recently got a glimpse of a garden sparkler at a craft show. Unfortunately it was in the hands of someone that just purchased it and as luck would have it , it was the last one!!! Does anyone know how to make them and be willing to share the instructions? It would be an awesome addition to my garden.

Comments (27)

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

Is this what you are talking about ? ( I googled it ) I love this - !! Looks like a rod with a piece of hollow copper tubing that all the wires are stuck into .
    ( Probably glued )

{{gwi:171879}}

I just have to laugh at us crafters -- we just LOVE to pick stuff apart !!

• tbledsaw
    13 years ago

Well how cute is that?!?!?!?!

• grandma_cindy
    13 years ago

Toomuchglass, I did the same thing, but got interrupted posting! LOLOL
    Here's a smaller version too, attached to a knife - maybe better to start small, right? NAH!!!!!!!!

{{gwi:171887}}

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

LOL ........ small ? -- Not in our vocabulary ! LOL
    We all go big time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Nice, I think they used crimp beads to hold the beads in place on the wires! Will have to keep this in mind as a project!! Jan

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Could you see one of those sprouting up out of a mosaiced bowling ball hole? They are fun and pretty. I'll have to remember these the next time I look at my bead collection.

• Deb Kozuszek
    13 years ago

These are really cute and look pretty easy to do! Why can't I think of new stuff on my own?LOL

• oldcrafty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

YES toomuchglass!!! Aren't they gorgeous?!?!? Gotta get me some beads and get one done. I see the rod and copper tubing you refer to and I think your right. Like the one posted on the knife too.....but what the heck...bigger is better. Thanks to all

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Those are too cute, I saw them earlier this year at a garden show and put them on my to do list. But, beads are very expensive around here and of course I want to do a great big frou-frou, sparkly one. I've been watching for old jewelry and belts and what have you, but so far not much luck.
    Frou

• giggles1
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing this! Do you happen to know how much the crafter was charging? The ones on Etsy are $48! AND SOLD OUT! They are large if the rod alone is 40 inches.

I have a ton of large wooden beads I have been trying to find a use for. I also have a bunch of cans of bright paints... hate to sit there & paint each bead seperately, has anyone ever just dunked them? I know, I'm looking for an easy out! lol

While these have straight "branches", I also thought curlies would be interesting. It's hard to keep the wire straight w/o kinks. Curling atleast some might give more appeal too, certainly would give more fullness!

• flagtruck
    13 years ago

I saw these in a catalog and have been contemplating how to make them ever since. I have some stainless wire I use in my concrete & lath construction but don't know if it is a stiff enough gauge to hold up. I believe you could stand these in about anything, hollow all-thread rod, copper tube atop 3/8" rebar amongst other things. Heres the link,
    check out the bottle tree also, I think they are copying us GJ's.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dancing Garden Jewels Stake

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

I saw them in Oregon and then again in Toronto. Hard to believe the prices - but then as people have said glass beads are expensive.
    I have a bunch of wooden beads too. Can't think of how to make them sparkle tho.
    Kathy

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Ok, so I'm a real newbie at this idea. Love it, but what kind of wire would you use? Florist wire or heavier...and where does one obtain said wire?? And, what are crimp beads? I think I need one of these!! ;-)

• flagtruck
    13 years ago

marlene, I got my wire at Lowe's near the furnaces, you can also get some elsewhere, but most of it will rust. What I got is stainless or aluminum. I can't tell you for sure about the crimp beads as I have a lot of beads but none of those. You could also use split-shot weights from the sporting goods fishing tackle dept.These will crimp together and should give the added weight to make your graceful arc. I am going to try one also, just have to clear mosaics off my worktable. Good luck

• schoolhaus
    13 years ago

These are great and easy to make. I used the small electric fence wire, it comes on a roll, 1/4 mile in length, at a Tractor Supply store, I got beaded Christmas decorations at the Dollar Store last January for $.25 each,took them apart and strung them on the wire. I would just make a loop with a pair of pliers to hold the beads in place. I made them in different lengths also. This wire although quite a bit of it on the roll can be used for just about anything us junkers make. When the wires were done my husband put them in a small piece of copper tubing, hammered it down and stuck it in a piece of pipe and hammered that to hold it secure. I do not have a clue as to how put a picture with this, but just look real good at the original picture shown above and you will get the idea. I also bought jewelry at rummage sales and took them apart to use.

• grandma_cindy
    13 years ago

It doesnt look like all the beads have to sparkle - just some of them. I like the small version on the knife as it will fit nicely into potted plants, while the big one is great for a flower bed.
    I agree the price is pretty high up there, and it's amazing that people are paying it!

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Marlene, crimp beads are little metal beads you put on the wire before or after the bigger beads to keep them in place so they don't slide. They look like little brass or silver beads and you use a crimping tool to squash them so they are pinched against the wire. Any craft store that sells beads would sell crimp beads.

I have gotten tubs of glass beads of varying sizes, styles and colors from Michael's. I think they cost about $10 to $20 depending upon the size of the tub. Lots of beautiful glass beads and a variety of colors. It's fun to look through them to see what you can use for a project like this.

• dollydee
    13 years ago

Soooooo cute!!!!

I like these with the mini bowling pins too :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sparklers

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Good idea Flag, with the fishing weights...makes it fast and easy I'm guessing! May have to try this!

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

Those bottle sparkler are neat .I have tuns of wine bottle.I need to try one of these!

• caroleena
    13 years ago

these are cute. i do scrapbooking, beading, etc and these would be very inexpensive to make. wow great idea!

• grandma_cindy
    13 years ago

OK, anyone figure out how to attach the beaded wires to the knife? I got some really cool knives at GW yesterday.

• beck_wi
    13 years ago

If you got old silver knives the handles might be hollow and you could drill a hole and stick them in.

I'm not sure if solder will stick to stainless if they aren't silver. Someone else might be able to chime in with that one.
    If it wont' stick, I would just wrap a bunch of wire tightly around the end of the knife and then solder your sparklers to the wire.

I'm feeling inspired.... thanks guys.

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

Ok girls try one of those tubes that come with solar lights that you get at walmart use the light for something else .I will try ome soon !!

• marleneann
    13 years ago

MMmmmm...I think I could copy that. thanks

• sprout_wi
    13 years ago

Does anyone know the narrowest diameter of a copper rod?? Aren't there some curtain rods that are narrow and hollow - the kind used for sheers? I would really love these on my hillside garden!!

Please, the first person to refine the instructions for these, please post it. Thanks!!

-Sprout

• colchicum
    13 years ago

I made several garden sparklers for Christmas gifts this year. I used 14 gauge galvanized wire (14 pieces with 3 pieces of 16 ga galvanized wire and 1 piece of 16 gauge copper wire.) All of the pieces of wire were inserted into a 3" length of 1/4" hard copper pipe and soldered in place. I used a 1/4" copper coupler to mount the sparkler to a 36" pcs of aluminum rod. I used glass beads. I put a blob of solder every 3" or so to keep the beads separate.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?