Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ksues_gw

Help! Please?!?!

ksues
12 years ago

Hello! I've been lurking for awhile and enjoy your creative ideas! I could really use some input please! I scored a nice pitcher and bowl set at the Salvation Army today. I want to use them in the garden as a birdbath, or maybe planter (any suggestions for other uses welcomed!) Somebody had done a re-paint on them, and the paint is chipping off. Underneath is a lovely high gloss white with blue flecks. Any ideas how to get the botched paint job off without damaging the finish underneath? I am soooo new at this its not funny! I tried scrubbing off some of the paint, but could see that it was scratching the finish underneath so I stopped.

Help, Please?? :D

Karen from NC (aka ksues)

{{gwi:172677}}

{{gwi:172678}}

Comments (8)

• tbledsaw
    12 years ago

I would be tempted to try a small spot of paint remover. The porcelain glaze is baked in, so I wouldn't think it would hurt it any? I truly don't know though.
    I would try a small hidden spot to see how it goes.
    Nice find!

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Hi, ksues

The pitcher has a pretty shape and detail, nice find. It have been glazed and fired so washing the paint off shouldn't scratch it. Maybe it was sanded or scratched so the paint would stick or the glaze finish was already damaged in some way. Hard to say without seeing it in person of course. The original finish is pretty, so hope you can bring it back. It looks like latex paint so try paint remover in an inconspicuous spot.

The bowl is quite deep for a birdbath. Even if you just put a little water in it, small birds would be at risk down in there and probably wouldn't go in.

If you don't want to drill a hole in the bowl for a planter, you could put succulents for a very dry garden and water very lightly.

It might work best to use it on a porch as a display piece filled with flowers.

• nonacook
    12 years ago

Try using steel wool size number 0000.
    I use it on a lot of things that I don't want to scratch.
    It is very fine....

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Welcome Ksues! Glad to have you join us here! You really did score a nice pitcher and bowl set! I too would try the fine steel wool first....you might also try just washing it first with a strong ammonia solution. I've had that just peel paint off of things...sometimes unintentionally. If neither of those work, you could try a heat gun....on low setting to bubble the paint off. (If you aren't familiar with them, they look like big hair dryers and you can get them at Lowe's or even on Amazon)

As for the use of the pitcher and bowl....it is a little deep for a birdbath, but you can always put stones or glass globs in the bottom to help shallow it up some. You could also use the pitcher with a recirculating pump and have the water pouring into the bowl.

Good luck and let us see what you come up with! We love pictures!

• ksues
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions, both for paint removal and uses of the pitcher and bowl! Marlene, I LOVE the idea of the fountain using the recirculating pump. I may have to research that one further!

As for the paint removal, I found half of a spray can of varnish/paint remover in the shed. I figured I would go for broke since I would only be out $5 if it took the glaze off too. It worked wonderfully and didn't damage the glaze at all! Underneath, the bowl is white with baby blue specks and a pretty baby blue edge around the rim of the bowl! There are no cracks or crazing anywhere! I am so excited! I used all of the can of paint remover and will be sending DH to Lowe's to get some more so I can finish the job. I can't wait to see how it all turns out! I will post pics when I get it finished!

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Sounds like a great pc ... & glad the remover worked...it is beautiful! Jeanne S.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

good find! Can't wait to see what you do with it.
    Kathy

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

Great bargain. So glad the paint is coming off for you. Will be waiting for more pics!!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!