Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suesarge

redneck garden art???

suesarge
12 years ago

Hi! Haven't really posted before, but have been lurking for quite awhile. We recently went to a family reunion held at an aunt's farm. She has quite a nice yard with some unusual displays. The best I thought was this "skull tree." Never seen anything like it before! How about "Little Mary Sunshine" beside it. Auntie Shirley is quite the character!

Image link:

Comments (14)

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

Very interesting. I like your Aunt Shirley's way of thinking!

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

A little late to cheer those fellas hanging from the tree but Mary Sunshine is a cutie!! Jan

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I wish the photo was bigger. I can't quite make it out.
    Kathy

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Now that is unique! Wonder who climbed the tree to hoist the skulls up? Little Mary Sunshine should be afraid! ;-)

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

I also couldn't see it too well and increased to 150% and that worked very well. I have gotten into the habit of doing that with smaller pictures.

Your aunt surely has an interesting display. I like it. Thank you for sharing.

Marylee

• suesarge
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry the picture is not clearer. Had some trouble posting it as am a newbie. Site kept telling me my photo was bigger than 60k so had to downsize it to fit. Noticed other photos in other posts are quite large. How do you do that?

• suesarge
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The skulls are also strung with LED lights so they light up at night which is kinda cool too. The bottom skull is red and the rest are clear/white lights. This gives it a whole new dimension! My brother was bugging Auntie Shirley that it was a "Satanic Worshipping Tree" and she was just using "Little Mary Sunshine" as a cover!!! Hahaha!!! Believe it or not Shirley strung everything up herself as her husband has been gone for about ten years now. She does everything on the farm herself. Not bad for an old girl turning 81 this year!!! Wish I had all her energy!

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

WOW!!! It lights up too...PERFECT!!! Yup, she is one of us!!!

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Good for Auntie Shirley! & welcome to the Forum, too! Jeanne S.

• jlily
    12 years ago

Now we will all have to try to keep up wih Aunt Shirley. At 81 it sounds like she will keep us all busy. Welcome to Garden Junk. Jlily

• nonacook
    12 years ago

Like the skulls--
    Aunt shirley is seven years older than I am
    and I hope I am sitll going strong at that age.
    Not doing as well as I want to now-Grin.

Jlily, I was going through some 1999-2002 things I
    had printed (in a box, before I started using file
    folders) and found your name on a couple of them.
    And some of those print-outs still had 'accoutrements'
    instead of 'junk'. Just goes to show you how long we
    have been here......LOL
    Found Grannytoo-arizona,before they moved back to Indiana-also! Most of the other names either visit rarely, or have quit coming. Some moved to MSN garden junk (now gardenjunk.org)

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Aunt Shirley sounds like someone we'd all love to adopt.
    She rocks!

hugs, Karen

• sorie6 zone 6b
    12 years ago

That is the coolest!! I love Aunt Shirley's sence of humor

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

You may well know this already but a quick way of enlarging a picture or text temporarily is to mouse over it, press control and roll the mouse wheel. I was shown this trick by a pupil.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA