Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maozamom

Finally made some plate flowers

maozamom NE Ohio
10 years ago

This is very heavy with six pieces of glass.

Comments (19)

• maozamom NE Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's a deep flower

• maozamom NE Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

even the back looks good.

• maozamom NE Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love orange. I still need a piece to cover the nut.

• cnm1
    10 years ago

Love them!! Could you explain more about how you are attaching the stem? What type of metal tubing is the stem? I can tell that you drilled but can not figure out the connections.
    I also drill and use screws. I drill through a flatten spoon and use bolts. The spoon goes into a copper pipe. I also allows me to combine heavy glass

• laurastheme
    10 years ago

Both of them are gorgeous, but I especially like the 1st one. I keep wondering if I should invest in a diamond bit and start drilling mine.

• maozamom NE Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The threaded rod is found in the electrical department at home improvement stores. Just a nut and a washer, then glass. and a washer and a nut to end. Once I know I won't be making changes I'll cover the nut with glass or use a attractive knob instead of the final nut. When I decided I needed six pieces of glass it became necessary to drill the glass instead of depending on silicon to support so much weight.

We've made three more flowers since I posted these and I'm on the look out for more glass.

• Marlene Kindred
    10 years ago

Very nicely done! They look great in your garden and by the way, your flowers look wonderful! I love the deepness of the first one and the back looks great!

• a.girl.named.max
    10 years ago

Your plate flowers are fabulous!

After experimenting with many types of glue I'm a firm believer in drilling when possible. My diamond bits aren't that expensive and they last a long time. I'm careful to keep everything lubricated and not to get the bit overheated. I go slow and easy.

I love the layered look. Now I have to learn how to do the glass stamens that I've seen on some of the plate flowers.

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

Those are beautiful!!!! But gotta say the first one is my favorite Your flowers are so pretty. I know drilling them takes a looooong time but surely worth it for those heavy pieces.

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

Love your plate flowers!

• indigosunshine
    10 years ago

Wow! Your plate flowers are so pretty! I want to go out and make some of my own. Tfs
    Carol

• sunnyca_gw
    10 years ago

Beautiful! The lime green 1 looks lovely in among your flowers! The 1st 1 is so graceful!! TFS Jan

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Gorgeous!
    Thanks for the tip on drilling. I was wondering what to do with the heavier pieces. Off to HD tomorrow for a drill bit.
    Tally HO!

• nonacook
    10 years ago

I have not made many flowers,and used silicone.
    But I hang them on a wall with plate hangers,
    instead of using stems.
    I bought some glass 'stirrers' to use as stamens.

• Calamity_J
    10 years ago

Very Nice! Your coneflower...heck everything in your garden is lovely!

• suebeee
    10 years ago

They are all just beautiful !!!

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

Wonderful. Thanks for the instructions. I too am thinking I need to start drilling. I found an interesting possible stamen solution. I made one last year, I'll post when I've made a couple more with that center.
    Kathy

• flowers12
    10 years ago

Wow, these are really beautiful!! How long is the threaded rod you're using? Is it easy to bend or do you have to use a pipe bender? Do you use rubber washers? Is the rod 1/4 inch around? I've made bird feeders with chick feeders and have found drilling the glass is time consuming but wow, you make it look like it's the best way to make these flowers.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?