Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about totems

Posted by katie_in zone 5b IN (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 19, 10 at 23:50

How do you keep the rain from going down the spout?

And how do you keep the big ones from falling over?

Maybe already been asked and replied to but couldn't find - Sorry :0)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about totems

The spout would have to be sealed, but as I've not done any teapots, I'll leave that to someone else.

The bigger the totem, the bigger the base should be. But remember you do have to protect them from wind, either in a protected spot or bring them in during storms. Some of the ladies that make the *really* tall ones place a rod thru the center of everything. That involves drilling, and I dont do drills! LOL

o

You can also use lamp parts for really large totems. That is what I did. Easy, cheesey that way. Put a large pipe down the center.

I am getting ready to do a teapot totem as well, so I will have new adventures in sealing, drilling, etc LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Large totem.

o

I usually use a larger plate at the bottom of my tall totems...either a dinner plate or a clear glass plate. As for sealing the spouts of your teapots....a glass glob glued there will usually work and I have seen some that have glass stoppers glued in there too.

Can't wait to see your creations!

o

I typically use a heavy, wide base to start with. My totems are not tall; I use them only in the spring when things are short. A couple have ended up top-heavy...my mistake when building...and I accidentally knocked one over & broke it in the closet during the winter. Oops.
This one is my sturdiest, and subsequently, my favorite. I try to stick the open ends down-ways, or else silicone the sh... out of it if I have to use it facing up:

o

Oooooooo mmq - love that purple bottle! And the top piece is lovely!

o

mmq, beautiful totem! Love the purple ... it's so unusual.

katie_in, I'd seal the teapot spout with a glass glob or just a slobber of GEII to fill the opening. As for the heavy base, people have used the glass plates from microwaves or big punch bowls. And just be careful how you position your pieces. If you don't have enough plates or flat pieces in between, the slightest wind or nudge could easily knock over your totem.

I like the totems that are built on the bottom of a bud vase turned upside down on a piece of pipe stuck into the ground. They are made up of only a few pieces but the pipe helps them stick up over the flowers, giving them the illusion of greater height.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here