Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

Cobalt Birdbath in Garden

kirkus
13 years ago

Hi Everyone, I posted in the past this birdbath I made. Never posted a picture of it in the garden. Love the cobalt blue in the garden. Just wanted to share. :o) Enjoy! Bear Hugs! Kirk

Here it is when I made it 2 years ago...

{{gwi:135372}}

{{gwi:130362}}

Here is the birdbath in the garden this year...

{{gwi:173928}}

Comments (32)

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

It's pretty with the snow but I like it much better with all the greenery! Very pretty! I love the little birdies on the top.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Very pretty, it matches your bottle tree. Love it!

• seamommy
    13 years ago

That blue just makes my mouth water! Love it. Cheryl

• mmebrady
    13 years ago

oooooh!!! very pretty!!!

• Deb Kozuszek
    13 years ago

So beautiful!!

• sorie6 zone 6b
    13 years ago

Love it. I have lots of blue in my garden

• giggles1
    13 years ago

Love it... blues are my favorites.

You MUST tell me what that plant is directly in front of it. We just bought a house to flip & the whole front garden is full of it.

I took some to a greenhouse they told me it was a weed... I didn't think so. Does it get yellow flowers?

I'm an avid gardner, but had never seen this before.

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the nice compliments! Cobalt blue is our forum's color! :o)

Giggles, I'll ask my brother the plant name. It's not a weed. He is a horticulurist and gave us the plant (We have many.) when we built the house. It gets beautiful, spiky, yellow flowers. The plant stays so green all summer long and flowers most of the summer. The plant in the picture is one I transplanted recently to that area so it's not blooming yet. :o) I'll let you know. :o)

Thanks again, everyone! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• susiewantsroses
    13 years ago

How beautiful.

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

It's amazing how blue looks in a garden !

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Oh, that is BEAUTIFUL in the greenery garden! Great pic! I'm working on blue bottles...getting there. I think the plant may be one I know as "Ladies Mantle." Happy to hear you are enjoying your "home, sweet, home!" Jeanne S.

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, Jeanne! It is Ladies Mantle...it was right on the tip of my tongue! Thank you! Hope that helps Giggles. :o)

• tasymo
    13 years ago

LOVE the cobalt blue birdbath, Kirk! BTW, the plant Giggles1 asked about looks like Lady's Mantle. It is actually an herb. Old wives tales claim that dew from the leaves has healing properties. Water beads up on the leaves like pearls. I have several clumps of it and love it.

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hee hee! Tasymo...you and Jeanne posted the identification of the plant at the same time! How cool is that? I love the old wives' tale!

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Elegant birdbath in a beautiful setting!! Jan

• laurastheme
    13 years ago

Absolutely stunning with the plants!!

• giggles1
    13 years ago

Lady's Mantle... of course! I've heard of it, never had any in my own gardens tho.

THANKS SO MUCH! Tasymo, Jeanne, & Kirk!
    I just KNEW they weren't WEEDS

From what I see at that flip-house, it spreads a lot. Love the leaves, Kirk, it'll look great around your totem! Especially since it's not the "traditional" green.

Now, to research it. Hubby is digging up the concrete pad near it - have to HURRY and get them dug up & brought home before they're under a ton of cement! LOL
    Funny part, I asked hubby what he was going to do w/ the concrete, he said he was bringing back home to put in the creek we have. I know boulders are one of his favs & reminded him of the HGTV show where they took an old driveway out, piled up mounds of broken pieces, covered them w/ mesh, poured on cement, & fashioned boulders. I think the flip will be daunting some boulders!

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!! Looks so serene in your garden!

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Kirk, it looks GORGEOUS there. What a perfect spot for it.
    Cobalt rules!!

hugs, Karen

• indylisa
    13 years ago

I seen your post yesterday and built a blue one last night. I guess you inspired me to go get busy with all the glass I have in the basement...Thanks!! I love the birds wish I could find some.
    Lisa

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

Oh My.....The blue is awesome. I think it's one of my favorites. So elegant looking.

• nanamarie
    13 years ago

Hi. I'm sort of new. I've been lurking since June. I've made by 1st bird bath and have several more in mind. I'd like my bird baths to functional as well as beautiful so I have a few questions.
    1. Is there a recommended height?
    2. If using glass should I put rock/gravel in the bottom?
    3. How successful are they in attracting the birds?

From nanamarie (aka...a girl called "Max")

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the nice compliments. You're all the BEST! I love this forum and the nice people!

Max, I attached the birdbath to a heavy microwave dish that I found at the Goodwill, covered it with soil, and placed a few rocks on top. The birdbath is the height of my other birdbaths...about a yardstick tall. The birds love it! I have birdfeeders and birdbaths all around so birds are plentiful here. :o) (I'll attach a link to my birdfeeder station. Have fun! Welcome to the forum!

Lisa, you'll have to post a photo of your birdbath! Please? :o)

Bear Hugs! Kirk

Here is a link that might be useful: Birdfeeder Station

• desertrat1
    13 years ago

Kirk, still looks fabulous! Thanks for sharing IN the garden.

• indylisa
    13 years ago

here it is Kirk...decided to do a totom when I found this duck yesterday. I may give it to my friends as a memory for there garden. I don't know...tough situation their son commited suicide at age 17. I would like it.
    Lisa{{gwi:173930}}

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lisa, That is beautiful!!! Great pieces! I love ducks so LOVE the duck on top. :o) What a nice memory gift that would be for your friends. Thanks for posting! Bear Hugs! Kirk it

Just a thought...you might post your totem as a new post by itself. Some people may not come back to this post...and they HAVE to see your BEAUTIFUL creation! It would inspire others! :o)

• shpnquen
    13 years ago

I love the blue!! It looks WONDERFUL in the garden!!

& YES Lisa, by all means, please post your lovely totem in a new post as well, it deserves it's own special place too!! I also love your solar light sconce, I'm curious as to whether or not it came that way or you cleverly just added solar lights to a sconce. Either way, I may just give that try!

• indylisa
    13 years ago

They loved the totem....smiles!!

Lisa

• smickerdoodle
    13 years ago

It is gorgeous Kirk! The cobalt blue glass is still my favorite.

• crazyone
    13 years ago

how many pieces is it made of Kirk? so pretty i must say

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Crazyone! 8 pieces. Collected them for a few years until I found the right combination. :o) Looking at this pictue, I'm wishing for Spring again! :o) Bear Hugs! Kirk