Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iamnotapirate

Introduction and Pictures

iamnotapirate
12 years ago

I recently found this forum and love all the creative up-cycling going on around here. I'd like to introduce myself with some pictures of my current projects.

I redid my patio which was in poor shape after virtually no maintenance for 50+ years with terrible weeds growing up through the cracks and cracked pavers from an oak tree planted too close to the house. I took it all up and relaid it with weed barrier and 2,000 pounds of gravel salvaged from town construction projects and 1,500 lbs of sand. Hauled it all by my tiny self in my Sportswagen. Some in progress and finished pictures. I'm going to grow moss in between the cracks and want to try the slurry method but don't have a blender. Any suggestions? At the end is my old weed garden (aka unsuccessful veggie garden). I salvaged brick from various rubble piles at the curb to build up the planter. Need to finish off the ground layer with dirt and plantings. What do you all think I should do with the other half of the old garden plot?

Then there is the fairy house my friend and I created for a fairy house festival, it's currently being displayed in an art gallery in Niagara Falls with other fairy houses from the festival. Not junk but thought you all could appreciate it. It's made with all natural materials we collected from various trips around the country (plus Gorilla glue).

Last, not one of my projects, (but that is me in the pic), a Japanese Tea House built over a gorge (inside there's a glass floor). This is built in someone's backyard! Private property but they let people hike there and have put in a lot of awesome things besides the Tea House.

Thanks for letting me share, I'm really enjoying looking at everybody's gardens here.

Cheers!

Here is a link that might be useful: iamnotapirate projects

Comments (14)

• tinfoilhat
    12 years ago

My knees ache just looking at all the paver work you did. Nice job.
    That fairy house is fantastic.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Welcome! What amazing projects. Love the tea house. You seem to be full of energy and vision!
    Kathy

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

You have done wondeerful work on your projects. I get tired just thinking about all the sand and gravel you hauled for your patio.

The fairy house is awesome. I'll bet it was fun to create.

Welcome to the forum. Please keep us updated on the progress of your projects. Thank you for sharing.

Marylee

• nonacook
    12 years ago

Great fairy house!
    You did lots of work fixing that patio!
    Welcome to garden junk.

• imjustsam
    12 years ago

Love that fairy house. Where are the houses on display? I live in Buffalo and would love to go see them.

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Yes, nice work & great recycling! Your patio & flower planter look great! As far as the other end you are talking about, I think a water feature would be wonderful...made from something you love ... old bricks, whiskey barrels, galvanized tubs, rocks...whatever you enjoy! Or you could go with LOTS of POTS ...that is fun, too! Whatever you do, it will be grand...cause look at all you've done so far! Have fun! Jeanne S.
    ps...that fairy house is wonderful!!!

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Welcome to the forum! Wow! What a lot of work it took to re-do your patio...I'm with Tinfoilhat...my knees just wince at all that work! Your fairy house is cool and the tea house setting is amazing!

Look forward to seeing more projects!

• a.girl.named.max
    12 years ago

Now I NEED to make fairy swings!

• sorie6 zone 6b
    12 years ago

WOW!! What beautiful work. TFS.
    Welcome to the board and we'll look forward to more pics.

• iamnotapirate
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the warm welcomes. Imjustsam the exhibit is at Castellani Art Museum at Niagara University. I'm trying to get up there myself. I'm in Rochester and want to see the other houses. My friend told me there's a log cabin the size of a dining room table.
    Jeannespines I'd love to put a water feature. I was thinking about a dissapearing feature. I have an old threaded water pipe from a plumbing project that would work really good with an old sprinkler attached but can't figure how to run electricity easily for a pump.

• luvs2click
    12 years ago

Congrats on all you've accomplished so far! Just a word of advice - I've tried the moss slurry and all I got was a mess and lots of mold. Since then, I've found this article you might want to read about moss. They say the slurry doesn't work either.

Here is a link that might be useful: The truth about moss, dispelling moss myths

• itsmejoyce
    12 years ago

wow...such great projects! You're doing a great job on that patio..that looks like back breaking work!

• 9bark
    12 years ago

Super cool! I love your front garden with all the mixed bricks and rocks! It gives it a very charming look! I see some serious potential for dressing up that brick work patio looking out to the street.

• iamnotapirate
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah gee thanks y'alls. It's so fun to share with people who can appreciate it.
    @luvs2click thanks for the moss link. Makes me feel better I didn't do the slurry. Guess I just need to figure out how to give it a stable base long enough to let it attach. Not easy with the dogs running all over.
    @9bark I love sitting out there. I have a wicker chair and shelf I curb scored a couple of years ago. I've been trying to get something (anything) to grow in those brick planters, even tried mint but no go. Oh well maybe a project for next year. So many ideas so little time :)