Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I repaint; re-glaze window frame?

Posted by ericagoebel z10 CA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 10, 10 at 1:31

I have stripped the paint off an old, 9-pane window frame that's about 3' x 3'. I plan to hang it outside, against a wall of my house, right above a chest of drawers that I use to store garden supplies. Just a little of the old original green paint still stains the window frame, the rest is bare wood. I like the old, exposed wood look.

My questions are: Should I re-glaze the glass panes? (Squeeze the putty-like, white goo that seals the glass to the wood muntins) If I don't, the new glazing pins are visible.

Should I paint the window with primer, an undercoat, and then top coat and faux finish the frame to look old?

Should I just paint clear coat of something over the wood?

I live in California, so it will be exposed to limited moisture and some sun where it will hang.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I repaint; re-glaze window frame?

I would re-glaze the glass panes. If you like the look it has, just clear coat the frame.
Under the eaves, it should last a long time.
I haven't noticed your name before, so WELCOME to garden junk. Please note that we have a conversations side, too.

o

If you caulk the panes, you will most likely have to paint it because it will really stand out. If you like it natural, then I would just extra glazing points and seal it.
Frou

o

Welcome to our junkyard Erica! Glad to have you here. I'm with Nona....I would reglaze the panes, but if you like the look of the wood and old paint, then I would just put a good coat of clear finish on it. Post a picture of your project if you can....we love to see what folks are doing!

o

Use clear silicone to re-glaze----

o

I agree, I'd reglaze them. I think the natural wood with a touch of the old green paint over it would look great. Personally? I'd just put a polyurethane sealer on it and call it a day. That would protect the wood and prevent the paint from peeling/chipping. I bet your window looks very cool. I'd love to see a picture of it!

And welcome to a great forum, erica!

o

No, no, no, no!
Why would you want to take an old window and give it a treatment to "look" old? No new putty either; if the new points are the problem paint them; the points should be easy to disguise.

"I'd just put a polyurethane sealer on it and call it a day" yes, me too.

Welcome aboard.
Robert

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here