Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sprout_wi

Bottle tree questions

sprout_wi
13 years ago

I have been admiring nanatricias bottle trees and I would like to ask those of you that have bottle trees, how you made yours, where do you get all of those beautiful bottles, are yours welded? How did you secure yours into the ground? I would love to see photos. Thanks!!

-Sprout

Comments (8)

• mzclassic
    13 years ago

Hi Sprout, I made mine with a 4x4 (didn't have any trees) then then drilled holes all over it and put a piece of rebar in each hole to put the bottles on. I had some of the bottles but got some from ebay. Here is a photo before I added more bottles and it has been great for 4 years now.
    Donna
    {{gwi:174654}}From Garden

Here is a link that might be useful: My albums

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

I'm glad you asked this question Sprout. I have the bottles but no tree, and I'd love to hear about details.
    Bottles: I like wine, and I like it even better if it comes in a blue bottle, lol. A friend of mine loves reisling which almost always comes in a blue bottle, so when I'm closer to actually making a tree, I'll ask her to save me some. Harvey's Bristol Cream (a sweet dessert wine) comes in 2 sizes. It takes a long time to drink a whole big bottle, but I just know I'll use the bottles someday. There are other "regular" wines that come in blue bottles. Also some fancy water comes in blue bottles. Sometimes I'll buy a bottle of it if I'm having company. I've also saved "bottle green" pretty green colored bottles, but finally gave up and recycled some of those. Kind of silly to keep when I'm not using yet.
    Other folks have asked at restaurants or bars for bottles.
    Red is the hard color to find because its expensive to make red glass.
    Kathy

• soxxxx
    13 years ago

I have 2 trees:

#1 is the top of a cedar tree that is about 10 feet tall with 2 feet buried in the ground. It had many branches that I shortened. Where I needed extra branches to form some sort of symmetry I nailed 8 inch nails into the trunk at an angle. I placed the larger/taller bottles nearer the groumd and graduated the smaller bottles toward the top. The bottles are green.

#2 is a 4x4 buried likewise and I used 8 inch nails (driven in slanted) for branches. It is all blue. Before I finally gathered enough blue glass bottles, I used some light blue plastic water bottles to fill in.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

sprout...nanatricia's trees were beautiful! Have you checked out the Inspiration Album bottle trees? Link is below (thanks, Purplemoon, for keeping this site updated for all of your GJer friends!)

I've got 5 collected & keep thinking I have a good plan...but haven't got it quite right yet for my taste...I think I want to add mine near my grapevine window glass (in a gate/fenceline) but don't know if the sun will shine thru enough to get the real appreciation of the blue glass! Experiment so far with "spiral-ing" wire around the bottles to hang from post brace horizontally...we shall see! Hope to make more progress & share soon...high temps again + high humidity! Ugh! This was a gift painted by a good friend:

{{gwi:174656}}

So glad you posted this...I love new (& old) ideas! Kirkus posted his bottle trees just awhile back & they are cool, too (purchased ones). Jeanne S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bottle trees GJ Inspirational Album

• sprout_wi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Jeanne- I didn't even think to look in the inspiration album (duh!) They are all stunning.

Beautiful grapevine window!! I like your idea for adding a bottle tree near the window. That would surely enhance both.
    -Sprout

• bverste
    13 years ago

Jeanne,did you have to do anything more to your picture? I have one I want to use as a divider on my porch, and I was worried the paint may not be water proof. I thought about spraying a clear coat on it to "seal" it.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

sprout...you're welcome...I always find something new & fun in the Inspiration Album, too!

Bverste...my friend painted it & I think used an acrylic clear spray on it...it's been out in Iowa weather since Sept. 08...& looks good yet!

mzclassic...good to see your pic & hear from you on GJ again, too! Jeanne S.

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

You can go to flicker or Photobucket type in bottle tree you can find all kinds.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz