Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sangaree

hmmm....check out these totems

Purplemoon
12 years ago

I was looking at ceramic stuff on Etsy and saw these totems.

And the prices on them!!

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: totems on Etsy

Comments (13)

• chevy57red
    12 years ago

Cute!! But holy cow!!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

They are very cute aren't they?
    She's offering 30% off plus free shipping. Do you think shipping is around $20 or more?
    Still a little steep by our standards, but she has apparently sold 7.
    I actually wrote her cuz it says weatherproof to warn her of the problem with water catching here in the frozen north.
    Kathy

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

anyone who hasn't been there should enter yard art and choose hand made. Lots of lovely things, and ideas on prices (just check their rating to see how many things sold). I've also bought gifts there.
    Below is a link to a neat use for old window.
    Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: etsy window

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Wow....the only thing is I'd be afraid to try and ship a totem...I know it would most likely break apart. She has some pretty creations though...pricey, but pretty.

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

That was my first thought -- how in the world can she ship them without breaking ? They're cute - but I've seen nicer ones from the GJ members !

• laurastheme
    12 years ago

How do you ship them? Very carefully. I have an etsy shop and I'm nervous every time I ship one.

When the discount and free shipping is taken into consideration she would probably net somewhere around $20 - $25 depending on where it's shipped to. That puts the price down lower than most of the totems on etsy.

She has only sold 3 in the last year. You can see that on the left side of her shop page.

If you want to see my etsy shop go to
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/RecycleRoom

I hope that's not considered spam.

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I can't even imagine shipping a totem. It would make me a nervous wreck trusting one to arrive safely the way packages are treated by UPS and USPS. But I saw quite a few totem sellers on Etsy, so they must do it successfully.
    I didn't see any small "pot totems" tho, that's what I want to make in the future.

hugs, Karen

• imjustsam
    12 years ago

My favorite was in her description of where she acquired her pieces. Recycled from organizations that help the community. Nice way of saying Goodwill and Salvation Army. She must have been a marketing major in college.hahahaha

• sorie6 zone 6b
    12 years ago

OMG I've sold a lot of totems (about50) over the last 3-4 yr. and I sure never charged anywhere near that. I sold at craft fairs and my garage sale and still made money.

I love this (My favorite was in her description of where she acquired her pieces. Recycled from organizations that help the community. Nice way of saying Goodwill and Salvation Army.)

I don't know very many of us that make them that buy the items new. That's the whole idea isn't it recycle?

Pretty but pricy!

• beatrice_outdoors
    12 years ago

A couple thoughts...

My husband is a letter carrier, and he says if you put fragile/glass/handle with care on the box those directions will be respected by the mail handlers. He takes pride in his work, and always treats packages like they are his own personal possessions. He wants both the shipper and receiver to be happy!!!

The high prices look like a marketing thing. Wow! If it's THAT expensive it MUST be good!!! But I also look at it as the high tide lifts all boats...if she's getting that much, eventually it may raise the prices for all of those selling and you could charge more depending on where you market them. Someone at a flea market will only pay less, but online shoppers think free shipping is a huge bonus.

Don't sell yourselves or your craft short! You put a lot of work into what yo do, and you deserve to make a profit.

Beatrice
    (I don't make totems or flowers, but I LOVE looking at your creations!!)

• Rusty
    12 years ago

"When the discount and free shipping is taken into consideration she would probably net somewhere around $20 - $25 depending on where it's shipped to."

Cost of packing materials also has to be factored into this.
    All things considered,
    She's not making much at all on them.

Rusty

• beatrice_outdoors
    12 years ago

One other thought on shipping...

Has anyone thought of using expandable foam as a protective material? Wrap the totem in plastic, put it in the box, spray the foam at the bottom and let it come 1/2 way up. Repeat on other side, then put the two halves together to ship. Maybe use the less stiff material for doors and windows? You may have to cut the foam in half in a straight line so the two halves lie flush against each other, but it might give the best protection for something fragile with unique design/curves, etc.

Just a thought. There are probably drawbacks, but I figured I throw it out there for discussion.

laurastheme-your green vintage glass flower is absolutely gorgeous!!!

• laurastheme
    12 years ago

Thank you, Beatrice.
    I'm not familiar with expandable foam. Maybe I'll check that out.