Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rain Chain out of "junque"

Posted by scarlett2001 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 3:21

I saw this today and wish I had taken a photo of it:
A rain chain ( to divert water from your roof gutter away from the foundation) made of all kinds of found objects.

The top began with a gutter strap inserted into the roof gutter, then an old funnel was wired to that, then alternating objects to pass the rain water on down: metal circles from an old belt, springs, a tea ball, spoons, etc. Each object was separated by a wire twist with a large colorful bead on it.
I can't wait to make one of these! Now if only we would get some rain here in CA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rain Chain out of "junque"

These rain chains are very fun LOOKING. I would be interested to hear if they really replace the down spouts most home have attached to their gutters. Do they keep basements safe from filling up?

o

Good question! I'm sure you would still have to divert the water away from the house or into a rain barrel.

o

• Posted by steiconi 12b-Big Island, HI (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 14:42

rain chains just break up the flow of water so it doesn't wash away the soil under the downspout; you can put a diverter at the bottom to carry the water away.

We get so much rain here that my cement driveway is pocked where the rain came off the un-guttered roof. We've added gutters and pipes that make a waterfall into a fishpond.

o

You're making me very, very Jealous! We are in an historic drought and have water restrictions, with a $500 fine for every time you break the rules.

o

Scarlett,
I lived in California for...um...decades. I feel your pain, and am very happy I moved to a rain zone--170" of rain a year. People talk about a "dry spell" when it goes three days without rain during the day. Night rain doesn't count, I guess.

And we're on rainwater catchment--our only water supply is what falls on our roof and is caught in a big tank out back--so no water bills, and I CAN FLUSH ANY TIME I WANT!

Aw, was that mean of me to tell you that?

This post was edited by steiconi on Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 0:18

o

• Posted by arcy MN 3/4 (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 30, 14 at 8:49

No water bills here either--private well. Yesterday we got much needed rain. I watched my gutters over flow and the down spouts gush. I just cannot see how a rain chain would be of any help, heck the gutters were of minimal help!! They are nice to look at but I think this is one sort of garden decoration that will not adorn my home. Scarlette, I have heard of States where they feel the government OWNS the rain. CRAZY!! I would hate to give up my rain barrel but I could not stand to live where someone tells me where the rain can or cannot flow!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here