Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rain barrel

Posted by garyfla 10 Florida (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 9, 12 at 5:50

Hi
Have an eighty gallon one with a crack near the bottom naturally lol.Any suggestions on a use . Way to deep for composter and odd shape means bags won't fit.
WAY to expensive to throw away lol Thanks gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rain barrel

What kind of material is it made of? Maybe a Google or How To search would give you an answer, Good Luck!

o

Gary, bet you can seal the crack with a good quality siliconized caulk. Would have to keep it dry for a day or so after caulking.

HTH, Rosie, Sugar Hill, GA

o

Gary, bet you can seal the crack with a good quality siliconized caulk. Would have to keep it dry for a day or so after caulking.

HTH, Rosie, Sugar Hill, GA

o

Better to fix for rain barrel, they just had on news couple of days ago about houses damaged by large fire, because someone had a plastic composter & didn't follow directions & it got too hot inside & combusted. I think 3-4 homes were damaged. Imagine that will be a big lawsuit! So if anyone uses them be sure to folllow directions & also keep it far from house & buildings. Jan

o

If the crack is not too bad try using that thick black sealant for roofs, they also advertise a spray on type on tv, the ad with the screen door in the bottom of the boat not sure of the name.

o

Rosiew
Have found silicone will not adhere to polyethylene,proably due to expansion..??
In any event will release after a month or so.
raven tried that but found the crack expanded after two days lol. I did find that it made a rather good base for the silicone at least for a while?? there is a welding system for poly which might work BUT don't think it would be worth buying the equipment??
Sunnyca WAAAY to deep for a composter and due to it's odd shape there are no bags to fit it. besides would not drain properly not to mention that compost needs to be turned.
I bought a replacement and was lucky to find one with similar dim. Only minor modification was necessary for the plumbing. certainly cost a bit more than I remember!!. The old one is sitting in a corner of the yard awaiting inspiration There MUST be something lol Thanks gary

o

Gary, maybe use a reciprocating saw to cut that in half, drill some drainage holes and you've got a humongo planter. Use a file on the rough cut edges.

o

Hi
had thought of that but due to the recess to allow a bucket to be put under the tap ,would end up with a "planter ' 38 inches wide with about half being less than 6 inches deep lolSeems like way to much work for a badly designed planter ?? thanks gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here