Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becky_ia

Junk Planter Contest Winner

becky_ia
10 years ago

Junk Planter Contest Winner-Just thought you might enjoy seeing my entry into the Bremer County Master Gardeners Junk Planter Contest. This was one of three winners and I had so much fun. I titled her "Miss Cooney's Delight" as she was my high school typing teacher way back when... What a great idea for their fundraiser and was so great seeing all the contest entries. Really gave me some new ideas for garden art!

Comments (25)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I love it! The sedum is perfect and looks so lush spilling over the vintage typewriter!

• laurastheme
    10 years ago

I love it!! It certainly is a winner. Very original.

• briergardener_gw
    10 years ago

Very creative. I love it!

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

You just HAD to win with something that creative! I LOVE it!

• jlily
    10 years ago

What a adorable container! That's a new "type" of planter!!
    TYFS JLily

• Marlene Kindred
    10 years ago

Great job! The sedum looks wonderful!

• nanatricia
    10 years ago

That is just to cute!!!!

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

LOVE IT!!!
    TFS
    Kathi

• GeeMee2
    10 years ago

I love this, what a great idea!!! Now I know what to do with the coffee pot and toaster!!!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Congrats, well done! I learned to type on one just like that but I think it was a Royal. Got at a garage sale for like $2 in 1975 or 6.

What exactly is in there? Sedum to the left? Aptenia, Lysimachia, Gasteria? No guess for the one on the right. How is it a container? If you have a minute to add a pic from the back, I'd love to see it.

Thanks for sharing!

• shysue
    10 years ago

I love that! I have seen typewriters turned into planters before, but none as beautifully planted as yours. You certainly deserved to win! I have an old typewriter and would love to do this myself, but can't figure out how to hold the dirt. Could you let us in on how you did it?

• cnm1
    10 years ago

It is beautiful!!! I love the look of old typewriters too!!

• cadillactaste
    10 years ago

How creative! What a charming planter...thanks for sharing! I certainly can see how you won with that design.

• sunnyca_gw
    10 years ago

I love it! I learned on an Underwood in typing class. That's just beautiful & great way to keep an antique around!! The chair looks great with it too!! It's a winner all around!! Did they sell it too!! I think any gardener would love it. Don't think my Royal in case sitting here would look half as good! Too modern. TFS Jan

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for such nice comments! The plantings...I am sorry, but don't really know most of their names as I went to an herb festival and bought the sedums and most weren't marked with names.

My planting choices were made for texture and color. I know the one on the right was simply called bronze sedum and the one in the middle (taller one) was called oxen's tongue (and it does look and feel like it!). There is an ice plant in there that had reddish/pink flowers adding a nice touch.

Here is a picture of the back of the typewriter. I lined the top with landscape fabric...cut a large square, put it in top section, filled with potting mix and stuffed the plantings in as full as I could with the different colors. Then I trimmed up the fabric, and folded/tucked in the edges.

There are other pieces of office equipment you could use as well..old adding machines can also be used

Becky

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Hey, it looks just as cool from the back, thanks! That would be one planter I'd never have to worry about blowing away in a gust of wind.

• shysue
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the planting instructions....

• garden2garden
    10 years ago

Congrats on winning. (sounds like a fun contest wish we could see the other entries too) I think you did an excellent job on this. The plants look great stuffed and overflowing like that. Love that blueish green sedum. Oh and clever name too.TFS, love it.

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are the other winners.

This post was edited by becky_ia on Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 9:02

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And another winner

• sorie6 zone 6b
    10 years ago

What a great idea. great recycling!!

• Kimball
    10 years ago

Nice idea you have there to show contrast. :)

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

I tried that, but that dang keyboard is so flat............ Nancy

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

Excuse me for being nosy, but I'm wondering how this was a fundraiser? (Asking for my garden club!) Did they charge admission to view, auction them off....
    TIA
    Kathy

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The fundraiser was a plant sale & garden art made by members. The entire theme was dealing with recycled garden art and had this contest along with a speaker talk about repurposing in the garden. I heard they made over $1,100!

This post was edited by becky_ia on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 15:04