Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nmgirl_gw

Glass plant stands

nmgirl
16 years ago

Here some photos of some of the glass plant stands I've made. I usually make fairy houses and glass topiaries over the winter when it's too cold or wet to be outside. I hope you like them. And I hope the pictures post correctly!

{{gwi:176287}}

{{gwi:176288}}

{{gwi:176289}}

{{gwi:176290}}

{{gwi:176291}}

{{gwi:176292}}

{{gwi:176293}}

Comments (26)

• rottyinbluejeans
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

WoW they are gorgeous!!I Love them!!
    ~~Rotty~~

• meadel
    16 years ago

Fantastic! I love them too!
    Lori

• shysue
    16 years ago

My! Those are beautiful! You do great work.

• Dottie B.
    16 years ago

WOW...those are fabulous with a capial F. Really beautiful. You really have a knack for putting the right pieces together. I hadn't thought of making any for inside my home, but maybe I should...LOL. Thanks for sharing!

• beccap
    16 years ago

They are wonderful. What did you use to "glue" them togehter?

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

I absolutely love them! What an awesome idea!

You just made my day! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

~Sandy~

• brendak_59
    16 years ago

I love them. NICE glass.

• countrygrl
    16 years ago

WOW, those are really gorgeous, every single one of them! Where do you find your glass? It all looks like nicer pieces, not cheapo stuff! Great job!

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Excellent - those are really pretty. I bet the creative minds are jumping like crazy right now!

• lilith_moonbeam
    16 years ago

Those are beautiful! I'd love to see the fairy houses!

• leubafr
    16 years ago

Wow ! ! ! Absolutely beautiful.

• phyllis__mn
    16 years ago

Those are marvelous.....yes, tell us what kind of glue or whatever you used.

• princess_mimi
    16 years ago

Wonderful! Those are great pieces! You have inspired me! Now all I have to figure out is how to keep the five boys (or six if you count DH!), three kittens and one dog from destroying them.

~~Mimi

• nmgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. I was hoping the stands would get some imaginations whirling.
    The "glue" is good old GE silicone II, clear. I use it for all my outdoor "topiaries" so why not use it inside? I do use these stands for plants and wanted an adhesive that resists moisture, in case of overwatering or dribbles.
    I find all, and I mean all, of my glass at thrift stores. I don't do yard sales, they're not my thing. Almost all the pieces were under $5. An exception is the tall piece in the second plant stand. I paid $10 for that. It's a 1950's coffee carafe and has/had a silver plated top. I turned the top into the cutest little succulent planter. The tall piece in the last stand is a crystal vase that was given to me. It had somehow gotten a big chip out of the bottom and wouldn't sit up straight anymore. The owner was going to throw it away but I begged it from her.I used it upside down, it's nice and straight on it's top edge! The base for the stand with the blue bottle is a light fixture. It was yucked up with paint and took some cleaning but I think it was worth the effort. I used quite a few of those old heavy glass ashtrays, one deviled egg plate and several tiered candy/pastry serving pieces that had lost their center pole. Most of the large glass pieces are just florist vases.
    Thanks again for your encouraging comments!

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

I went to a Salvation Army store a few weekends ago and bought a bunch of clear glass items like candle holders, vases, plates, bowls and a glass light shade. I am debating whether I should make a totem out of it all or use the bowls as catch-alls for my jewelry. I got about 20 pieces and it all cost about $20. So you can get some awesome stuff pretty cheap if you look around. They had a lot of clear cut-glass type stuff when I was looking. I am not surprised that you were able to find this stuff so cheap.

• jeannespines
    16 years ago

Wow! Great work ... very, very nice. I also would love to see the fairy houses! Jeanne

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

NMgirl, Those are all just beautiful. I love the way you did the top plates in #1, that was very creative. I like them all, but #4 and #7 are my favs. How tall are you making them? You sure found some pretty glass pieces and put them together so well.

I agree--we need to see pics of your fairy houses too please. And your glass topiaries. Are they like the totems on here or something different? Please share pics of them too.

Lus

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

STUNNING. I love them!!! You really blew me away with each one, now I guess I need to hunt for big glass pieces.
    My favorite thrift store doesn't often have very large ones in. What inspiration you've given here!

Karen

• annielu
    16 years ago

beeeeeutifullll!!!!!!

• cheribelle
    16 years ago

Wow! I love those too!

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

Very pretty NMGirl:) I love all of them,what a great idea:)

• njtomboy
    16 years ago

wow I never thought plant stands.. OK - Tim for me to really rethink my totems...

Thanks for the inspiration! Those are great!!!!

• nmgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Luvstocraft,
    The height varies from piece to piece but is usually between 15-18". That height works well for my windows and is imposing enough so all the four legged family members respect it.
    I tried making a few taller than 18" but became very concerned with the stability of the piece once the weight of a potted plant was added. I also personally prefer the look of a solid base, one long piece for height and a substantial top that balances the base pieces. It's tricky for me to get more than one tall piece to "flow" in a design. It's also a bother to glue!
    The 3 taller ones I made were barely 24" tall. They looked nice but I was uneasy with them. I my mind I could see one of the glued joints giving way and a prized houseplant crashing to the floor. So I took one of them apart and reused the pieces. I kept one for a candle stand, which works quite well, and a friend of mine asked for the other for her favorite African violet. She understood my concern with the weight but her violet is only in an 8" pot. The stand is in an area that won't get bumped or jostled, it looks great! And the violet is much happier too.
    I was going to mention something else about the height but have completely forgotten what it was.....oh well. If it's important it'll come back!
    Through trial and error I found the assembly method that works best for me is the following:
    1.Allow yourself at least 2 days, 3 are better, to assemble a plant stand. It'll be worth the wait, trust me.
    2.BEFORE GLUING, dry stack the pieces making sure they fit snugly together and will sit level. By "snugly" I mean no major wobbles (ashtrays are notorious for having wobblies) or tilt problems. You don't want to have to shim or fill gaps to make pieces fit. These stands get heavy and are carrying weight so the pieces need to fit together. You want glass-to-glass joints, not glass-to glue glob-to glass. Also be sure your work surface is level. Sounds like a no-brainer but that's how I found out my craft table needed adjustment.
    3. Glue all the base pieces together and allow to cure for at least 24 hours. You don't want the base slipping or sliding while you're trying assemble the rest of the piece. You can also glue the top pieces together now, it'll make final assembly much easier.
    4. Glue the center/column piece to the base and allow to cure. Check for level during the next few hours, heavy pieces can slide a bit and you want to catch it before you have to cut the thing apart and start over.
    5. Attach the top assembly and allow to cure well.
    Et voila'! You have just made a gorgeous plant stand that will be the envy of all who see it.

Re: Glass topiaries
    It's the name I use for the glass creations that are also called "totems". The word "totem" didn't appeal to me and I liked the whimsy implied by the word "topiary". So I call my yardifacts glass topiaries instead of totems.

Re: Fairy houses
    I'll get some photos taken, downloaded and posted. I'm not promising when but I will get it done.

• jiju
    16 years ago

Really cute and awesome idea. I am going to make some for Christmas gifts. In our family we have to make gifts instead of buying. This will be perfect!

• rchovey
    16 years ago

WoW! Just beautiful! I bought a table lot of lovely glass pieces a couple weeks ago, you've given me lots of inspiration.

Thanks
    Ramona

• thrift_shop_romantic
    16 years ago

They look like a million bucks, and not at all something pieced together.

--Jenn

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions