Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to hollow out a stump?

Posted by jackierooke z5MI (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 07 at 9:50

My husband brought me some stumps(chunks of a downed tree) but being a husband, they are solid and not the hollowed center ones I asked for. I'm pretty tool challenged but can anyone tell me how I can make these stumps hollowed out some on top so I can plant semps or sedum in them?

Jackie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to hollow out a stump?

You can take a chisel and a hammer and chisel out an opening....time consuming, but it will get the results you want eventually. You can also take a large drill bit and keep drilling holes in the log, right next to each other, until you have drilled out the whole area. You can use a chisel too and chip out between the holes. Mark the drill bit with a piece of masking tape so you know where to stop drilling each time.

If hubby has a band saw, he can cut the log in half, cut the center out and then glue it back together. We do this for birdhouses, but it may not stay together if you are planting in it.

o

The tip of a chainsaw will work too--just be careful.
I have a small electric one that I could use.

o

My dh placed charcoal and some lighter fluid on stumps.When it burns down a bit,did out the center.you won't need it to deep to plant sedum.Lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here