Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tehuti

Ta DA! -- Oh, stop those blaring trumpets.

tehuti
13 years ago

I sincerely hope the "parts" photo for this simple project made it soooo easy for you guys to guess what I was making - I would hate to think your view of some common articles has been tainted in any way by these creations.

{{gwi:176584}}

"Pray for Obama. Psalm 109:8."

Comments (19)

• aquawise
    13 years ago

OMG!! that is so cute!!!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

The "race" is over! This must be #50! ...& how appropriate that he is crossing the finish line! Love it! Love it! Love it! Yes, you've "tainted" my ways! TFS! Jeanne s.

• tasymo
    13 years ago

I win! I win! That means your going to send it to me, right Robert?? Robert?? Helloooooo!
    Seriously, he is cuter than I imagined!

• seamommy
    13 years ago

I can honestly say, I will never think of a collander again as just another planter...

• greensuzq
    13 years ago

OMG, How do you come up with your great ideas? This is just too cute. Great job.

• goldenpond
    13 years ago

that is just turtlerrific!
    tanya

• sprout_wi
    13 years ago

Fantastic!! We may have guessed it would be a turtle but I NEVER imiagined it would be so ADORABLE!! Heck, this is way beyond adorable. Tell you what R, my birthday is coming up (November 21) but you can send this to me now. No questions asked. I am lusting after this turtle. (lol) Great job!!
    -Sprout

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Well, turtle never entered my mind, I was thinking more ostrich, knives for legs, wrench to connect body somehow, didn't quite work in my mind but figured you would come up with a long legged bird!! I'm looking for strainer with those round designs on as that is cutest little guy, what colors did you use, looks like copper or lt. rust color & some kind of green. I won't have any trouble getting the wrench as often spot at yard sales(thereby saving my good 1 for household use) the knives are perfect feet & that piece off a door opener/closer thing is out in garage!! He needs a name & he just such a happy looking little fellow, who knew metals could look so adorable!! Kept the creative juices flowing!! We love your art! Jan

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Well I had NO clue, due to a serious lack of imagination. (I think you took it all, or at least were at the front of the line, LOL.) I'm with seamommy, I'll never look at a collander the same again!
    This turtle is waaaaay too adorable. I love, love him!!
    He has so much personality in that face its unbelievable.
    Did I mention I LOVE him!

And I am gonna blow my trumpet louder, harder, and even longer now. LOL.
    {{gwi:77274}}

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

That is just perfect !!! I have an old colander just like that - I was thinking of making it into a turtle ,too .
    The picture in my head was nothing like yours !

After seeing this - I officially scrapped my idea .

** You are the master !!

• sprout_wi
    13 years ago

Robert- Any chance we could see the bottom of the turtle? Were any of the pieces cut down. How were pieces attached- Weld? solder? And if it is a girl or a boy.

• tehuti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry Sprout but the turtle is mounted to the board and hanging on the wall.
    HOWEVER
    The blades were removed and used as wings on this dragonfly,
    {{gwi:176586}}

the handles were welded to the hub-cap to make the feet, then I layered a quantity of bondo® to fill the gaps between them and the hub-cap.
    The shell (the colander) is mounted to the body and the board by a 7" long 1/8" bolt and nut.
    Boy or girl? Sorry I was too busy with generalities to consider the distinction.

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

You have done it again Robert! Your turtle is just WAY too cute! LOVE the way he turned out....you are one seriously talented man! THANKS for all of the great ideas and the wonderful works of art!

• Deb Kozuszek
    13 years ago

This is just perfect! I like the dragonfly too! All of your work is to die for!!

• tasymo
    13 years ago

I'm seeing glimpses of stuff you haven't shown us, Robert! You're holding out on us!!

• shpnquen
    13 years ago

Pretty cool stuff there!! How clever your mind works!

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

The trumpets aren't about to stop for this one! Wow! You are having way too much fun.

That dragonfly is fantastic too. I love dragonflies.

• garden2garden
    13 years ago

Yes, my view of common articles has indeed been tainted forever by these creations :)
    And thanks for reminding us all how much fun it can be to "think outside of the box". I think seamommy put it perfectly (and made me lol) when she said "I can honestly say, I will never think of a collander again as just another planter..."

You can get in such a rut, thinking of the same old thing as the same old thing all the time.

I never would have quessed a turtle out of those parts, but it's perfect. Look at that face! Who would have ever thought an adjustable wrench could have so much personality.

Thanks for sharing and good luck on your venture.
    Donna

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

I like the turtle but I love the way you have it displayed! Reminds me of turtle/tortoise shells you often see in country decorating magazines hanging on the walls. I am amazed at how much a wrench looks like a turtle's head! lol! Love that dragonfly too. And like tasymo said, you're holding out on us! There are some very interesting pieces in the background there as well. Great job and keep those projects coming!