Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Use of metal containers for plants over the winter

Posted by margomouse 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 10:55

I just bought some beautiful mums and an aster yesterday. I was going to put them in large metal containers (rustic) for the fall. Severeal people have suggested lining them- which I totally understand. My question is this though. If I line them, keep them healthy and watered etc... Could I winter them in those containers? Someone had put on here that that would cause the metal to split? I do have the hardy mums- so like my others- plan on enjoying them for years to come. thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Use of metal containers for plants over the winter

Well, it depends on how big the containers are and how cold your winters are. Being metal, the soil in them will get colder during the winter, so that might freeze your plants. If you have a wet winter, without drainage, the container might split because the water will freeze in the soil and cause it to expand and split the metal. I have two metal well buckets that I left out one year and they both split at the bottom. So far, they've not dropped the bottoms so I just left them as is for drainage.

o
RE: Use of metal containers for plants over the winter

Is there drainage? I have had various metal pots for years, but they all have good drainage. Guess it depends on what kind of metal, too. Mine are all galvanized, and heavy iron pots are popular. Seems like heat in summer would be more worrysome that cold in winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here