Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentstar_gw

Where can I find...?

kentstar
13 years ago

A large planter bowl that has Egyptian hieroglyphs or Egyptian decos on it? I am trying to come up with one but can't find one anywhere! I want to make my own fountain next spring and use a large planter, fish pump, tubes, flat flag stones around it, etc...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Cathy

Comments (8)

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Wow...I did a quick search online and didn't find anything that wasn't a fortune. You might want to pick up a plain planter and stencil it yourself, then seal it with poly or similar. Also take a look at Design Toscano...they always have lots of different styles, etc. of decorating items. Good luck with your search!

• kentstar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wouldn't mind doing it myself but it would have to last outside in the elements. Hmmm... I've looked at Design Toscano too. I can't believe they are that hard to find!

Here's the situation,
    In the pic you can see two Thutmoses III statues and one ugly water feature my DH put in a couple years ago. While the water fall works fine, it is constantly splashing water up onto my heuchera on the left. Does some damage to the leaves but otherwise it's ok. But, I would like to make my own fountain in the middle in place of that one, and to go with the "egyptian" theme of the Thutmoses. Hmmm... It's been a hard one to find. I looked where I bought the statues, and I know they would do custom work but that would be VERY pricey! So, I thought there must be resin or fiberglass planter "bowls" that have Egyptian stuff on them. Yah right! BTW, the heucheras are huge now, and not small like in the pic from last year! :)

{{gwi:177598}}

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

I know this isn't hieroglyphs ...but this is a planter I've been eye-ing at Lowe's waiting for it to get marked down as a good sale...link is below also. Just an idea for your fountain./..your garden area looks good there...& I like your Tuts! Jeanne S.

{{gwi:177600}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Lowe's Mosaic Planter

• lindasewandsew
    13 years ago

Hos about egyptian designs made of plaster or other material? They can be glued onto any pot and the whole thing can be painted, then shaded with other colors. The designs could also be stenciled using thin plaster in the stencil instead of paint. Paint it after it dries. Mosaic might also work. If you make it, paint it, or glue it, be sure to use exterior products.

Don't forget to check Craigslist, etc. for a cheap fountain that might work, and tell everyone you know what you're looking for. Habitat Restores get this kind of stuff sometimes. The pot could be made from hypertufa. An old bathtub or (cement) sink might work. Linda

• tasymo
    13 years ago

Perhaps you could use something like these to front a plain square planter? Concrete adhesive should work to attach the tile(s.

Here is a link that might be useful: egyptian tiles

• kentstar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tasymo, that's the same place I bought the statues! Awesome stuff there! Expensive though but nice! I thought about that too. Good thing I have all winter to come up with something lol!

Cathy

• tasymo
    13 years ago

O.K., how about stenciling a design onto a plain planter. Much more cost effective!

Here is a link that might be useful: egyptian stencils

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Maybe you could find block and make a fountain that looks like a pyramid....different sizes going up to the top....hmmmm...just thinking out loud here.

Sponsored