Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Look what happens to Copper !

Posted by toomuchglass 53172 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 20, 10 at 12:14

I have a roll of thin copper used for copper punch. (It's 36 gauge ) Had it for years - never used it till now. I saw this online and I wanted to make it - complete with all the rainbow colors.

Photobucket

I used a small torch & experimented.
Check it out !!

Photobucket

This pic shows the results .

Photobucket

*Low heat will make it turn red
*Medium heat will turn it blue.
*Next - I I used High Heat & I think there must have been something oily on the copper - it kinda did a blobbly rainbow. ( happy accident ! )
*The last one -- I blasted it -- and it turned sliver.

Cool !!!!! You can buy the tooling foil at Michaels -
I also saw it in silver tone ,too. Now this could open up whole new possibilities ! It would also be great for the leaves on wind spinners........

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Look what happens to Copper !

Very cool...can't wait to see your finished project!

o

So, 2much, "Where's your butterfly?" LOL! Great experiment! TFS! Jeanne S.

o

No Butterfly yet ! It's number 125 on my to-do list ~ heheh

o

it's awesome!!!!

o

Cool!!!!

o

Looks like you are having fun with your welding! I think that is butterfly i passed up yesterday as someone had repainted it & did a miserable job of it, It would have had to be stripped(I have some stripper) Just not up to doing it right now!! Might go back & see if it's still there, this one looks very cool!! Jan

o

Love that butterfly! I can see why you want to copy it. Great idea heating up the copper to create the different colors. I wonder what that would like once it has weathered. I can't wait to see what the next cool thing is that you come up with!

o

ANOTHER great idea...hmmm, project number...765432!heh heh! But I really like it...that looks like the copper I found at a garage sale, that I used for my castle....

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper on Castle

o

I always wondered how to make colors on copper - I think it's so pretty . I might just have to make that butterfly today :)

o
Butterfly!

Well, went back & got the butterfly! $1.98 it is all metal but holes are different larger ones go all down the outer edges & slits go in toward the center. Missing 1 antenna but I can glue 1 on. It's 11 1/4 in long by 10 in. wide. Was on a rod originally. Has heavy wire all around outer edges on underside so well made. Will undercoat & repaint as in better shape than I had thought. I love 1 you made of copper sheeting, it looks terrific! Hope I can make this 1 look half as good! Jan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here