Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karalynn_gw

My bottle tree & crystal mobile

KaraLynn
16 years ago

Here's a picture of my bottle tree made from blue bottles and copper pipes. The bottles I found at recycling centers and thrift shops. The pipes I got from my neighbor who had salvaged them from a grocery store that went out of business. The pipes are held to together with a 1x1 cinder block that's hidden by the mulch.

{{gwi:179067}}

I made this mobile out of old crystals I found at thrift shop strung on thin copper wires and hung from a brass thing I found in my dad's scrap pile.

{{gwi:179068}}

Comments (19)

• loriey
    16 years ago

I love the blue bottles. Good idea with those crystals. It is simple but, very charming.

• njtomboy
    16 years ago

very pretty

• littledog
    16 years ago

Love the way your copper bottle bush mirrors the form of the plant behind it. Is that Iris or some kind of Agave/Yucca? Whatever it is, I'd plan on planting more to really play up that shape.

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The plant behind the bottle tree is a clump of large walking iris. I hadn't noticed how much it mirrors the shape of the iris.

The crystals are my first attempt at making a mobile. One sunny days the crystals throw rainbows across the walls in my living room. I'm already collecting bits and pieces for another mobile. I plan on hanging strands of seashells and several small candle/oil lamps from a piece of drift wood. I might add some sea glass or crytals as well. That would look good hanging over my sitting area under my oak tree outback.

• littledog
    16 years ago

Well, it's a perfect match. What color does it bloom?

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The iris will have blue-violet flowers that can get up to 3 feet tall.

Here is a link that might be useful: giant walking iris

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

Pretty blue bottle idea!Did you paint the copper or is it just turning all those colors?

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The green color on the pipes is there naturally. When I was digging through my neighbors pile of copper pipes I tried to pick out ones that already had the green patina on them.

• nonacook
    16 years ago

Goodness, Karalynn!!!! Your walking iris is a different color than mine!!! Mine has white petals, with about the same color center. I guess I will have to look for one like yours now!

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Those blue bottle trees are so lovely. To date I only have one blue bottle I found and that doesn't make much of a tree does it, LOL.

Your crystal beads are fantastic, what a great idea!

• kirkus
    16 years ago

I love your bottle tree...been wanting to make one for sooooo long! My wife has been collecting crystals and is soooooooooo inspired by your mobile!!!!! Thank you! Your ideas made our day!!!!!!!!!! Kirk

• bamasue
    16 years ago

Love the bottle tree!! Does anyone know what brand of products can be found in blue bottles?? I've had a hard time over the years trying to find them and red ones!

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I found some of my bottles at thrift stores but the rest I pulled out of recycling bins. I probably made a funny site with my feet in the air while I fished bottles out of those dumpter sized recycling bins!
    I originally got the idea to make a bottle tree in this shape from a magazine. The main difference between mine and the one I saw was that I used copper pipes instead of rebar. I just think that the blue bottles really look good against the aged copper.

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

Love your bottle tree,especially great find with the copper pipes. And your hanging crystals are very beautiful. My sister just brought me a bowl full of old prisms that came off an old chandelier and I strung some on fishing line and hung them on the front porch where the sun will hit them. I also never see blue bottles around here,but I have the word out :)

• bamasue
    16 years ago

Karalynn, can you give an approx. of the heighth and width of the bottle tree? Lucky you to have a neighbor willing to give you copper pipe! That stuff and the wire is so pricey now that home builders around here constantly report theft! Also, did you set any of the base inground? I am truly enamored of your project! Great job!

• littledog
    16 years ago

Source for blue bottles: Schmitt Sohne wine, Arizona Tea, Skyy Vodka, Skyy Blue Cooler. There's another German wine that comes in a cobalt bottle, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it. I guess the easiest way to find modern blue bottles would be to walk in a liquor store and look around. Milk of Magnesia used to come in cobalt blue bottles in 5 different sizes, and if you're lucky you can sometimes find them at second hand stores.

• bamasue
    16 years ago

Thank you, littledog! Your sources have been copied and printed and into my purse it goes for the hunt!! I am surely glad we do imbibe! I will continue, too, to hunt at resale stores but haven't been that fortunate to date.

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you everyone for your compliments! I played with ideas for a bottle tree for years before I actually made one. I have an idea for another bottle tree but I need to see if I can find any red or white bottles.

Bamasue, the bottle tree is about 6 feet tall by 5 feet wide and the 1x1 foot cinder block that forms the base is mostly buried in the ground. I didn't use any concrete to hold the pipes in place so that the tree could be easily moved or dismantled (in case of a hurricane!). I actually traded with my neighbor for the pipes, I had a copper/brass sample muffler for a big truck siting in my back yard that just happened to be the same weight as the bundle of copper pipes I needed. The muffler had been sitting in a storage closet at work (I in the engineering dept. of a firetruck manufacturer) and was going to be thrown away when the closet was cleaned out. Instead it ended up coming home with me and sat in my yard for several years.

I love going over and checking out what my neighbor has in his yard. For a living he collects and recycles scrap metal as well as strips out buildings that are marked for either demolition or remodeling. Sometimes he brings home the neatest stuff!

• bamasue
    16 years ago

Thanks, Karalynn for the sizing info. You truly are well placed to have a neighbor with neat stuff!! Smart thinking about not solidifying the base in concrete due to the BIG WINDS that will/do blow! Know you will save those blue bottles and pipe...good luck in your search for red ones...

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington