Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sparkling Totem

Posted by oldcrafty 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 13, 10 at 14:27

Made this totem and did not plan on making it into a sparkler until the top piece ended up being a vase with an opening that I didn't want to catch water......and wa-la figured I could make it into a sparkler as well.

Sparkling Totem

Sparkling Totem

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sparkling Totem

Very, very cool. What type of wire did you use as I have some sparklers in the shopping and collecting phase?

o

• Posted by sorie6 Zone4 Colo (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 13, 10 at 16:04

Very pretty!! Love the blue. You did a great job.TFS.

o

Love it!!
Kathi

o

Very pretty and unique! And great idea turning the top into a sparkler with the narrow vase. Great job!

o

Beautiful - I LOVE this!!
-Sprout

o

Great solution! Jan

o

Love it!!! Awesome job.

o

I was wondering if the 2 could be combined. Thanks for being the pioneer in trying it. It's GORGEOUS!

o

That's really pretty, love the colors. The totem garden sparkler is a great combo.

o

Chicki......I got a roll of multi-purpose wire at the hardware store, I think it was 16 gauge, silly me threw the packageing away! I have a red and clear glass one in the making now, it will also be topped with a narrow vase that will hold my sparklers. On the blue one I filled the opening with GE II It worked OK but the glue didn't set up and hold them in place real good. I think it needs something that secures them tighter. Think I might try a gollop of cement. I actually filled the vase at the bottom with cement and inserted rebar in it to stick out about 8 inches so I would have something to push in the ground to secure it from blowing over. That part has worked great! It is a little heavy but I don't have to worry when the wind blows!!

o

• Posted by emtnest z8/Northern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 13:05

I'm not a big fan of totems, but yours is beautiful!

o

The blue glass makes it like a fountain!
Kathy

o

• Posted by cait1 VIC Aust (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 16, 10 at 11:08

Very beautiful. Love the colors.

How did you stick it in the ground?

o

cait1: The bottom vase's opening is pointed downwards to the ground. I flipped the whole thing upside down and filled it with cement, then I stuck 2 pieces of rebar in the wet cement and left about 8 inches of rebar sticking out....after curing the cement for several days I flipped it back right side up.....and it is the 8 inches of rebar that is stuck in the ground to secure it in place and keep it from toppling over.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here