Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pop can flowers

Posted by excessfroufrou (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 28, 09 at 14:31

I'm sure most of you here on the forum have made or seen these before, but it is a first for me. They were easy and fun to make, not to mention cheap. I'm not sure what I am going to do with them, just stuck them in my bamboo pots for the pic. Also, look at the cool copper wire I got at the electrical supply. They have scraps for sell and I got 4 or 5 pieces, each about 2 ft. long and each piece unravels with twenty strands. I only paid $5.00 for all of it, way cheaper than the hardware store. Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pop can flowers

I do love your flowers.Did u use silicon to hold them on with? I need to check into wire like that.That's a good deal.

o

Any blood? :) I'm scared to try these, but I LOVE them!!

o

Those are nice. I saw some flowers on flickr made from plastic pop bottles. I like your cans better, though.

o

Those are just too cute. I'm sure I'd loose a finger!

o

I love them too, but love my fingers more!! Great the way they came out tho!! Never have seen wire bundled like that must be electrical or phone type wire or something!! Jan

o

Very pretty flowers! I doubt that mine would come out looking as neat as yours. Mine would be lopsided and all bloody. he-he Good buy on the copper wire too!

o

Pretty! I really like the one with the pointy petals. Great find on the wire - did it come with a plastic coating that you had to peel off, or was it bare?

o

Great idea. Since I do stain glass I have no fear of getting cut..............LOL

However this is what I do. I have several pair of those *cheap* gardening gloves. They are thin enough to be able to do your work and protective enough so you don't get cut.

o

Your flowers are so pretty!!

o

Really nice flowers!
kathy

o

• Posted by sorie6 Zone4 Colo (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 29, 09 at 16:03

Very pretty. Good job!

o

That's really cool. You would never think they were soda cans. I
really like the last one on the right hand side. Maybe I will try it
in winter when I'm not so busy in the garden.

o

Very pretty! I guess I'm the only one that has never seen them before and doesn't know how to make them. How about some short instructions?

o

I love your flowers, I too have not seen them before and would love instructions.
thanks

o

Those are really cool. I have tin snips now so maybe I will try them!

o

Thanks for all the input, I wear thin gloves when I cut them out,I didn't get one cut,they are really not as sharp as you might think. And once you paint them it sort of seals the edges so they are smooth. First, use a box cutter to cut the open end of the can off, then switch to scissors. On the bottom, I measure and mark my petal cuts evenly(like a pie) then mark them with a sharpie. Next cut down the sides just to the edge of the can. Bend the petals out and trim to whatever shape you like. For the leaves cut top and bottom off and flatten out the can, I usually roll it backwards in a towel. Use a ink pen to draw leaves, then place leaves on towel and draw veins, pressing down to shape them. Spray paint, It takes 3 cans for each flower 2 for the petals and one for the center. Place the cut petal cans on top of each other, poke hole through center and place wire loop. Use the bottom of a can for the center. You can attach it to dowel using glue and the wire. Also the copper wire I got had no coating on it. I think I am going to glue some around a chaulk board for my patio. Thanks again Syble

o

I've never seen flowers made this way. They are very pretty!

o

Those are adorable and look great right where they are!

o

Well, mercy me, those are just cute, cute, cute. And I love the way you used them in your plants. You done a great job, they actually look store bought.
OK, kids drink up, momma needs flowers in the winter!!
blessings-sherri

o

Oldie, but goodie!!!
Yours came out BEAUTIFUL!

When I looked at them, I thought of SUNFLOWERS.
Probably the season.
Make the petals yellow/orange and add brown beads or stones into the center.
I have a ton of the beads that came from the wooden car seat things that were SUPPOSED to help your back. Those have the nice elongated beads that look like sunflower seeds. Now I can use up some!!!

Another thought is using the bigger cans (my kids drink the energy drinks) since those are taller, they would add more width.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here