Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
excessfroufrou

pop can flowers

excessfroufrou
14 years ago

I'm sure most of you here on the forum have made or seen these before, but it is a first for me. They were easy and fun to make, not to mention cheap. I'm not sure what I am going to do with them, just stuck them in my bamboo pots for the pic. Also, look at the cool copper wire I got at the electrical supply. They have scraps for sell and I got 4 or 5 pieces, each about 2 ft. long and each piece unravels with twenty strands. I only paid $5.00 for all of it, way cheaper than the hardware store. {{gwi:179702}} {{gwi:179703}} {{gwi:179704}}

Comments (20)

• doodys
    14 years ago

I do love your flowers.Did u use silicon to hold them on with? I need to check into wire like that.That's a good deal.

• mjowest
    14 years ago

Any blood? :) I'm scared to try these, but I LOVE them!!

• Betsy Rheaume
    14 years ago

Those are nice. I saw some flowers on flickr made from plastic pop bottles. I like your cans better, though.

• texasfern
    14 years ago

Those are just too cute. I'm sure I'd loose a finger!

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

I love them too, but love my fingers more!! Great the way they came out tho!! Never have seen wire bundled like that must be electrical or phone type wire or something!! Jan

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

Very pretty flowers! I doubt that mine would come out looking as neat as yours. Mine would be lopsided and all bloody. he-he Good buy on the copper wire too!

• shrillmtb
    14 years ago

Pretty! I really like the one with the pointy petals. Great find on the wire - did it come with a plastic coating that you had to peel off, or was it bare?

• chelcass
    14 years ago

Great idea. Since I do stain glass I have no fear of getting cut..............LOL

However this is what I do. I have several pair of those *cheap* gardening gloves. They are thin enough to be able to do your work and protective enough so you don't get cut.

• maggie4737
    14 years ago

Your flowers are so pretty!!

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Really nice flowers!
    kathy

• sorie6 zone 6b
    14 years ago

Very pretty. Good job!

• roper2008
    14 years ago

That's really cool. You would never think they were soda cans. I
    really like the last one on the right hand side. Maybe I will try it
    in winter when I'm not so busy in the garden.

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Very pretty! I guess I'm the only one that has never seen them before and doesn't know how to make them. How about some short instructions?

• newkidd13
    14 years ago

I love your flowers, I too have not seen them before and would love instructions.
    thanks

• cindee11461
    14 years ago

Those are really cool. I have tin snips now so maybe I will try them!

• excessfroufrou
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the input, I wear thin gloves when I cut them out,I didn't get one cut,they are really not as sharp as you might think. And once you paint them it sort of seals the edges so they are smooth. First, use a box cutter to cut the open end of the can off, then switch to scissors. On the bottom, I measure and mark my petal cuts evenly(like a pie) then mark them with a sharpie. Next cut down the sides just to the edge of the can. Bend the petals out and trim to whatever shape you like. For the leaves cut top and bottom off and flatten out the can, I usually roll it backwards in a towel. Use a ink pen to draw leaves, then place leaves on towel and draw veins, pressing down to shape them. Spray paint, It takes 3 cans for each flower 2 for the petals and one for the center. Place the cut petal cans on top of each other, poke hole through center and place wire loop. Use the bottom of a can for the center. You can attach it to dowel using glue and the wire. Also the copper wire I got had no coating on it. I think I am going to glue some around a chaulk board for my patio. Thanks again Syble

• nursemaid4
    14 years ago

I've never seen flowers made this way. They are very pretty!

• daisyme
    14 years ago

Those are adorable and look great right where they are!

• daisydal
    14 years ago

Well, mercy me, those are just cute, cute, cute. And I love the way you used them in your plants. You done a great job, they actually look store bought.
    OK, kids drink up, momma needs flowers in the winter!!
    blessings-sherri

• giggles1
    14 years ago

Oldie, but goodie!!!
    Yours came out BEAUTIFUL!

When I looked at them, I thought of SUNFLOWERS.
    Probably the season.
    Make the petals yellow/orange and add brown beads or stones into the center.
    I have a ton of the beads that came from the wooden car seat things that were SUPPOSED to help your back. Those have the nice elongated beads that look like sunflower seeds. Now I can use up some!!!

Another thought is using the bigger cans (my kids drink the energy drinks) since those are taller, they would add more width.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living