Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quidam_gw

POTM--I did it!!!

quidam
16 years ago

I was challenged by the rock theme for the POTM and decided to put my summer food preservation, back to school prep, and housework aside for a day or so to do something I have always been meaning to try....pebble mosaic.

Keep in mind that this was my first try. I made some mistakes and learned alot. I had wanted the stones to be closer together but I used too much mortar, I think. I still have to remove the white residue and seal it and it will look much better.

I removed some flagstones from our walkway (not mortared or cemented)which made for an easy first project. I then collected rocks from around our yard because I still wanted a natural look to compliment the walkway, but did add a few irridecent long gems.

Ironic note: The flagstone path we put in used to be river rock which was very hard to walk on. We have buried, given away, and gotten rid of most of it because we didn't like it. Now, I wish I had it all back since I plan on doing more mosaics.

{{gwi:179949}}

{{gwi:179950}}

Comments (24)

• TwoMonths
    16 years ago

Yahoo, you sure did. And it is fantastic. Bet that feels good on the foot...and what good color in the rocks.

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Wow, that came out excellent. Great job!!

• pearlygates
    16 years ago

It looks really nice. You did a good job.

• tigerwiggy
    16 years ago

I think it is perfect. I don't think it would have been as nice if the rocks were closer together. The design really stands out being spaced a bit.

• nonacook
    16 years ago

It looks really nice....

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

Are you kidding? I love it just the way it is!

Nice work!

~Sandy~

• nana431965
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh that is absolutly beautiful, now I will probably go chip out some concrete in my patio just so I can do that! Great job!
    Donna

• quidam
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. I hope this was an appropriate project for this forum as I did consider my rocks to be "junk" and they were used for art. For those interested, I am posting the article/man that inspired me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pebble mosaics

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

You did an excellent job, I really like that!

• dixiesmom
    16 years ago

Very cool!

• countrygrl
    16 years ago

That turned out beautiful, and the colors are so great and natural looking! Great job!!

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

Looks absolutely awesome! I like the way it looks with the more conventional stones. Kind of like finding a little treasure when you least expect it. Very nice work. I agree the spacing between the stones actually highlights the stones and your design.

• minnesotamaggie
    16 years ago

Very cool! I really like the look!

• kirkus
    16 years ago

INSPIRATIONAL! I am inspired! What kind of mortar did you use? Absolutely beautiful! Kirk

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

That is absolutely wonderful. I LOVE it. What a great idea, especially for us rock lovers on this forum.

Karen

• KaraLynn
    16 years ago

That's great looking! That's what I've been planning to do to my front side walk. I've been slowly collecting the rocks for a while now.

• Dottie B.
    16 years ago

I think that looks fantastic!!!! Beautiful! I bet you will smile everytime you walk on it.

• quidam
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You people are too kind. Yes, I do smile everytime I go past it!

Kirkus, the mortar is ProFinish Quikrete Blended Mortar Mix. It is $5.and some cents and I used 1/2 the bag, but really only should have used 1/3 but I dug it too deep and put in too much. So it is a relatively cheap project. One bag should cover 3 sq ft.

Karalyn, please post when you finish yours. I would love more ideas.

• nonacook
    16 years ago

All I get are the dreaded red 'x'.

• easystitches
    16 years ago

I got the red x's too.
    I'd really like to see them.
    Isn't Jeffry Bales rom Portland?
    I think I've seen him on Mike Darcy's show?
    Small world, I'm from PDX!
    I'll try to see your pictures on my computer at work, somnetimes that works, Jill

• quidam
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes Jeffrey Bale is from Portland. I would like to go to his house and see it in person.

How can I post the pictures so that you gals don't get the red "X"?

• cait1
    16 years ago

Can you link to your photobucket page? I'd love to see your work. I just get red x's toooo! ;-)
    Cait

• FlowerLady6
    16 years ago

I would also love to see your artwork.

Pretty please re-link us to your pictures.

FlowerLady

• quidam
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, I got the pictures back! Upon further remembering, I guess I did mess with the pictures in my photobucket to send to a friend. Sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks Goldenpond for helping me figure this out.