Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Project

Posted by merrygardener z8olywa (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 15:01

I was going to post on the Home Decorating forum, thinking it would receive some good feedback, then thought to check out the garden forums. And wowza! Here you all are! I bought this, uh, treasure about 15 years ago, probably for a dollar. It has sat under the eaves of the house while the children grew, and now it is time to make some garden art! It was heavily rusted when I bought it, and that hasn't changed.
Today, I sanded with sandpaper "for metal" and after wearing out my fingers and sweating up a storm, moved to the wire brush. Yes, I am a novice in these things! I would love to know if I need to scrub every last sign of rust off of it before painting or just get it fairly smooth (but with all the chunks of rust off). This photo shows it mid-way through the process. After lots of wire scrubbing, there remains surface rust, but it feels fairly smooth.

Also, any ideas what it might be from?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Project

Looks like the shell from a practice bomb- top removed.

I'd be tempted not to paint it, but if that is your goal, then getting as close to bare metal as you can is best.

tj

o

Wow! How cool is that? Does look like a practice bomb shell of some type. That will make an awesome planter! I agree, I would let it rust, but if you want to paint it, be sure to prime it first. Hope we get to see what the finished project looks like!

o

I live in the Pacific Northwest (think wet all year except for summer and early fall), and I don't want it to rust away (but obviously I don't know..... Might it just rust and be fine for years?). I also like the idea of it taking a prominent presence in the garden, even thought it might lend my husband to believe that surely there is enough "art" out there! (Ha!)
The top (planting) portion is only about 5" deep- likely only good for succulents. I bought some bright blue spray paint that is both a primer and top coat. Is that what you would use?

o

Holy bomb shell planter!! I'd be tempted to leave it as is, turn it over, and put a pot in the square end with some hanging something or other to show off the find. If you need to get rid of it, please just holler - I'll take it off your hands :)

o

Gempler's makes a rust converter that I have been using for years. I have used it on rusty yard art projects, fuel tanks, and even insides of water troughs with great results. Just wire brush loose rust off and paint over rust. The product is a milky white and it reacts with rust and creates a gray hard coating that you just paint over. Soap and water clean up and you can paint over it with an enamel paint like Rust-Oleum. Has a 9 month self life so don't get more than you need.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gempler's Rust Converter

o

Love the old rusty patina....just leave as is....a great piece for your garden!

o

Looks heavy & if doesn't tip over easy I would get large pot & put in top & plant something that would hang over & down some. Would probably show up more the blue color you got ,seal it with clear coat. JAN

o

Thanks, all! Such wonderful ideas. I will post the "after" picture!

o

1. Keep the rust, and clear coat to rust proof.

2. Get a welder to cut out "Peace" symbols on all 4 sides.

3. Put a solar light inside the base and behind the symbol cut outs.

4. Mount on a pole, plant flowers.

5. Also good for hanging your house sign.

Flower Power!!!

dcarch

photo Msg08150157477b2_zps3fda160d.jpg

o

I would paint in Metallic Bronze, then highlight with metallic copper. Wad up some saran wrap, spray copper on it and just dab it on the bronze.

o

I second the use of rust converter. It is great stuff for things that you don't want rusty.
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here