Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calicocat1967_gw

Garden Wagon

calicocat1967
12 years ago

Hi Everyone, Have not been here for awhile....busy busy. But I just wanted to share my wagon with you. I entered this in our local fair in the container category. The judge thought it was too artistic for this category. It was so fun to do. I will be doing another for next summer for sure. Hope you enjoy, Kim

{{gwi:180109}}

{{gwi:180110}}

{{gwi:180111}}

Comments (21)

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Calico...it is "artistic" but that judge should have given you FIRST place for it!! The mini garden design is just delightful.

Nice to see you posting again.
    hugs, Karen

• calicocat1967
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Have another picture.......Better view

{{gwi:180112}}

Thanks Karen for the nice comments.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Yah I don't get the judge. Its is certainly artistic and beautiful.
    What kinds of things did other people enter? Nothing artistic apparently!
    Kathy

• chelcass
    12 years ago

Sounds like they need a new judge...........Duh! I think it's great. Just love those old wagons. The little bench, well house and arbor are too cute. :)

• kirkus
    12 years ago

Just beautiful! LOVE THIS!!!! So creative! My late Mom entered a zucchini cake once in the fair and had it on an antique, white dish...a judge said her plate was too distracting...the other judges must've liked it as she won first place. :o) You did an incredible job. I give you BEST OF SHOW! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Wow! Wonder what this guy judges, he sure has poor taste! That is a beautiful wagon. My old Radio Flyer just "kicked the bucket", went to pull it to mow under it & thing holding the back wheels on rusted through & it fell over. I had put a board in it couple years back to keep the plants upright. So hope you lined it with heavy plastic or don't care if it goes in few years. It's a great idea & nice thing is, if it doesn't do well in 1 area just move it to another & in winter close to house or in garage where it can get light.You should have gotten 1st prize! Jan

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Another NE Iowan here, calico...what constitutes the "container category?" I think you have a very original container here & filled it with pride! From GJ standards, you recycled & yes, a BEST OF SHOW ribbon for you! Love it! TFS! Jeanne S.

• nonacook
    12 years ago

Love it!!!
    The judge obviously didn't!
    What is wrong with him/her? LOL

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

Your mini garden is delightful. I love it. You did a wonderful job.

Marylee

• soxxxx
    12 years ago

Was there a separate artistic category?

If not, the judge seemed to be making the rules to suit him/herself.

If yours did not win, the winner must have been a super duper, hand clapping, world shattering entry..

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

WOW! LOVE your miniature wagon garden! So many different plants...love that you have a hosta in there too! I agree...should have won FIRST PRIZE!

• calicocat1967
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all for your wonderful responses. In all fairness the category was just called Patio Container. Well in my mind that spelled out a wagon with miniature plants. :-) The other containers were very nice, but hey were your typical geraniums, spikes, petunias, etc. Don't get me wrong I have containers that contain them as well, I just wanted to be different, but look what different got me LOL !!! Oh well I guess I know better for next year.

Thanks again.

Kim

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

In all fairness, calico...this is an extraordinary idea for 'container gardening'...you should have 'placed!' Ahhh, 'judges!' LOL! Jeanne S.

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

It is just so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!I love it!!!

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

If there had been a different judge she probably would have won for a "unique & original" container with ease of movement on the patio. What could be better! Most judges go for "different", sorry yours didn't! Jan

• soxxxx
    12 years ago

I do not think that the judge is a member of our Garden Junk forum, He/she coud use some enlighenment.

• diggery
    12 years ago

QUOTE:Oh well I guess I know better for next year.

Um...NO.

Ditch that stinkin thinkin. Do not *dumb down* your entry just because a judge has no vision. Agreeing with Kirk here...BEST OF SHOW.

(hey, who ya gonna listen to? an ingnorant judge or the multitude of visionaries here?)

YOU ROCK!

blessings,
    ~digger

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

If they(judges) were real quite and struck around till midnight...they woulda seen the faeries, who surely come out and sit on that bench....delighting in a perfect garden....

• 9bark
    12 years ago

Wow wow! That is really gorgeous! Very zen. Thank you for sharing! More!

• beatrice_outdoors
    12 years ago

Please don't ever change your artistic style because of what a judge said. From the fairs that I've been to they often have a stick somewhere that needs removing. I think they only follow what they know, and have a big head because they are a "judge." It may take them a little while to get out of their own idea box. Keep entering your creative ideas, and soon the fair will be asking YOU to judge for artistic design.

Your piece is fabulous!!!!!

• calicocat1967
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again all for the positive comments. You are right I am going to keep doing my own thing. Even if they do not like it.

Kim

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!