Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden Wagon

Posted by calicocat1967 NW Iowa (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 24, 11 at 15:15

Hi Everyone, Have not been here for awhile....busy busy. But I just wanted to share my wagon with you. I entered this in our local fair in the container category. The judge thought it was too artistic for this category. It was so fun to do. I will be doing another for next summer for sure. Hope you enjoy, Kim

Wagon Garden

Wagon left

Wagon Right

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden Wagon

Calico...it is "artistic" but that judge should have given you FIRST place for it!! The mini garden design is just delightful.

Nice to see you posting again.
hugs, Karen

o

Have another picture.......Better view

Top View

Thanks Karen for the nice comments.

o

Yah I don't get the judge. Its is certainly artistic and beautiful.
What kinds of things did other people enter? Nothing artistic apparently!
Kathy

o

Sounds like they need a new judge...........Duh! I think it's great. Just love those old wagons. The little bench, well house and arbor are too cute. :)

o

Just beautiful! LOVE THIS!!!! So creative! My late Mom entered a zucchini cake once in the fair and had it on an antique, white dish...a judge said her plate was too distracting...the other judges must've liked it as she won first place. :o) You did an incredible job. I give you BEST OF SHOW! Bear Hugs! Kirk

o

Wow! Wonder what this guy judges, he sure has poor taste! That is a beautiful wagon. My old Radio Flyer just "kicked the bucket", went to pull it to mow under it & thing holding the back wheels on rusted through & it fell over. I had put a board in it couple years back to keep the plants upright. So hope you lined it with heavy plastic or don't care if it goes in few years. It's a great idea & nice thing is, if it doesn't do well in 1 area just move it to another & in winter close to house or in garage where it can get light.You should have gotten 1st prize! Jan

o

Another NE Iowan here, calico...what constitutes the "container category?" I think you have a very original container here & filled it with pride! From GJ standards, you recycled & yes, a BEST OF SHOW ribbon for you! Love it! TFS! Jeanne S.

o

Love it!!!
The judge obviously didn't!
What is wrong with him/her? LOL

o

Your mini garden is delightful. I love it. You did a wonderful job.

Marylee

o

Was there a separate artistic category?

If not, the judge seemed to be making the rules to suit him/herself.

If yours did not win, the winner must have been a super duper, hand clapping, world shattering entry..

o

WOW! LOVE your miniature wagon garden! So many different plants...love that you have a hosta in there too! I agree...should have won FIRST PRIZE!

o

Thanks all for your wonderful responses. In all fairness the category was just called Patio Container. Well in my mind that spelled out a wagon with miniature plants. :-) The other containers were very nice, but hey were your typical geraniums, spikes, petunias, etc. Don't get me wrong I have containers that contain them as well, I just wanted to be different, but look what different got me LOL !!! Oh well I guess I know better for next year.

Thanks again.

Kim

o

In all fairness, calico...this is an extraordinary idea for 'container gardening'...you should have 'placed!' Ahhh, 'judges!' LOL! Jeanne S.

o

It is just so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!I love it!!!

o
Wagon

If there had been a different judge she probably would have won for a "unique & original" container with ease of movement on the patio. What could be better! Most judges go for "different", sorry yours didn't! Jan

o

I do not think that the judge is a member of our Garden Junk forum, He/she coud use some enlighenment.

o

QUOTE:Oh well I guess I know better for next year.

Um...NO.

Ditch that stinkin thinkin. Do not *dumb down* your entry just because a judge has no vision. Agreeing with Kirk here...BEST OF SHOW.

(hey, who ya gonna listen to? an ingnorant judge or the multitude of visionaries here?)

YOU ROCK!

blessings,
~digger

o

If they(judges) were real quite and struck around till midnight...they woulda seen the faeries, who surely come out and sit on that bench....delighting in a perfect garden....

o

• Posted by 9bark 5 British Columbia (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 27, 11 at 16:22

Wow wow! That is really gorgeous! Very zen. Thank you for sharing! More!

o

Please don't ever change your artistic style because of what a judge said. From the fairs that I've been to they often have a stick somewhere that needs removing. I think they only follow what they know, and have a big head because they are a "judge." It may take them a little while to get out of their own idea box. Keep entering your creative ideas, and soon the fair will be asking YOU to judge for artistic design.

Your piece is fabulous!!!!!

o

Thanks again all for the positive comments. You are right I am going to keep doing my own thing. Even if they do not like it.

Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here