Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Barnwood Duplex Birdhouse + Some Wren Houses

Posted by jeannespines 4 Iowa (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 20, 10 at 15:15

Finished up some birdhouses today ... made again with mostly old barnwood + recycled wood. This one is a heavy duty "duplex" barnwood...divided in the center for 2 nesting spots. DH & I built this one tog...it's a big one & sitting on Hoosier cabinet for the pic. We created our own version from a pic I had torn out of a magazine:

Barnwood HD Duplex Shuttered Birdhouse 8.10

The shutters are made from recycled oak TP holders that I got in a box of junk from a GS. I'm going to add some dried moss to the top faux hole yet.

Since the weather improved for a few days, we worked in the shop some & DH made 5 wren houses ...recycled barnwood & other woods, too...then I paint & decorate. Here's one I tried some "milk paint" on & then sprayed with Rusteoleum clear enamel...will see how it holds up:

Wren Birdhouse Green Milk Paint 8.10

And this one I stained the recycled wood ... also added a couple pcs from picture frame ... & then this "gold heart" (necklace) that I got at a GS for 25 cts...I like how it turned out. The wrens love these size birdhouses ...& they usually clean them out themselves each yr.

Wren Birdhouse Gold Heart 8.10

Thanks for looking! Jeanne S.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Barnwood Duplex Birdhouse + Some Wren Houses

I love them!! such great ideas!! YOur birdies must love you!

o

Love the bird houses! And I really LOVE that green vase in the 2nd. pic!!

o

Very nice! I like making birdhouses out of old wood too.

o

They're terrific!
Your creations are always sooo charming!
Kathy

o

So pretty! Love them all, but I think the wren house with the heart is my favorite! And, I have that same green vase....TFS!

o

Those are all very pretty Love them!!!!!

o

Love the birdhouses & your Hoosier, looks very similar to my aunt's! Also the bunny planters & vases! TFS Jan

o

Who would have thought pieces from TP holders would look so great on a birdhouse? lol! I love all three of them. Great idea using the picture frame for trim! You see frames so cheap at thrift stores and rummage sales and they are usually missing the glass and backs. This is a great way to repurpose them. TFS your wonderful ideas!

o

Wonderful birdhouses!
It has been WAYYYYY too hot for me to be in the
work shop this summer....Over 104 a there lot
of days.

o

Very, very cute!!! Love wooden birdhouses :)

o

Jeanne, I've said it before...but I want to be a bird at your place! You two are soooooo creative with your birdhouses and everythibng else! TFS! Bear Hugs! Kirk

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here