Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
javaandjazz

Have any of you made an inukshuk for your garden?

Richard Dollard
14 years ago

Have any of you made an inukshuk for your garden? I was just up in Alaska on a cruise and saw these at several places and thought of making a small one for placing in my garden. Do any of you have any pictures of yours? Thanks, Richie

Comments (16)

• Crafty Gardener
    14 years ago

I made my own version of an inukshuk out of bricks

• laurastheme
    14 years ago

What is it??

• nonacook
    14 years ago

I started counting out the bricks, but never got it put together...
    Laurastheme, google inukshuk and you will see!

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

I hope to make one. Here's a link about Inukshuks. ~tenderlee

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia Inukshuk

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

If I had a yard, I'd like to make one into a fountain. I love to make them out of small stones at the beach. Just haven't done it in a couple years because my Bob likes to spend the summers in hospitals or at home recuperating from major surgery. They are cool though.

• Janet Myers
    14 years ago

I like the ones that look like a figure. Not so crazy about the others.
    Would love to see a picture of one made from brick.

Piper

• daisyme
    14 years ago

Well, I haven't done one, but I bet now we've seen some we'll see more here!

• Crafty Gardener
    14 years ago

You can visit my website, about half way down the page to see my brick inukshuk. I didn't post any directions as it is self explanatory, and the final outcome depends on the bricks you have.

Here is a link that might be useful: inukshuk made from bricks

• desertrat1
    14 years ago

OK, so I had heard of them but didn't really know about them....Here is a video that would be of use---especially since it is from an Inuit. I think the more appropriate term for what we intend to build in gardens would be referred to as inunnguaq and the man in the video pronounces it correctly. I guess if you were making one to refer to a good hunting ground then that would be appropriate to call it a Inuktuit.
    Love, Jules

Here is a link that might be useful: Inuktuit or Inunnguaq video

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

Good find and great paint jobs!
    Syble

• daisyme
    14 years ago

Crafty, I went to look at the brick and found your adorable rock village. Love it!

• Crafty Gardener
    14 years ago

That was a very informative video, thanks for posting it desertrat. So what I made from bricks is an inunnguaq, and I have updated the info on my website.

• desertrat1
    14 years ago

Crafty,

I thought, yeah, I'm sure an Innuit would be the best person to have the knowledge. I'm glad it was taken the way it is meant---informative. I never try putting things out there to offend anyone. I still have a hard time pronouncing it (and I'm sure even that is wrong). I have stacks of rock in my front yard--as something I saw when I was young along the John Muir trail in Sequoia National Park. They are meant as mile markers....or to just mark the trail so you know you are going the correct way.

Love, Jules

• shrillmtb
    14 years ago

I have a couple of little ones in my garden:

{{gwi:180172}}

{{gwi:180176}}

They are a pretty common garden feature up here in NW Ont. They are fun to build, but I had to glue the heads because the squirrels kept knocking them off!

• wendy2shoes
    14 years ago

Here's one I made out of construction rubble. (Finally found something to do with hardened concrete bags).
    {{gwi:130428}}

And here's one my daughter made on a mountainside in Peru.

{{gwi:130427}}

• radtke2t
    12 years ago

Is there any way to build a fairly large inukshuk without it easily tipping over if children climb on it? I have a lot of rock in my yard and I am in the process of building an inukshuk. I just had my wife help me put the "bottom torso rock" on the inukshuk and my wife is now concerned about the potential of kids climbing on it and it tipping over on them. Some of the rocks weigh in excess of 60 lbs and the whole thing may weigh 600 lbs. If it tips over on a child, it could seriously hurt him/her. I want to build it but won't do so unless I am reasonable sure no one can get hurt. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012