Kathy

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

http://www.earthbox.com/

Here's the link.

• Rusty
    12 years ago

Sorie6, check the "Container Gardening" Forum.

There are some very good instructions there.

They call them "Earthtainers".

Rusty

Here is a link that might be useful: Earthbox type container

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

My bro. bought a kids plastic swimming pool,drilled drainage holes in bottom set it on a round wooden painted table & filled it with garden soil & strawberries. it's done great. It's his 1st yr. at growing food & he has things so crowded I can't believe it. Under a window in narrow space maybe 4 ft wide & 8-10 ft long. 3 tomato plants,Early girl & another kind, kind of pear shape but 2-3 in long & 1 1/2 in wide, & 1 cherry tomato,green beans mixed in with cantaloupe(doing very well, & early on lettuce in there also, 3-4 kinds)Next to house with lot of sun I didn't think he would get anything to speak of but it was cooler this year than normal. The table, strawberries are sitting on, is sitting on cement pad, house on 1 side block wall on other few ft away. He did say he had to water them daily but not too much so it dripped through. Amazing what works! Jan

• terrybull
    12 years ago

this is my version of the earthbox. but its called the motherbox. it has a 30 gal water resivor. this one has giant pumpkin growing in it.

{{gwi:41316}}
    pumpkin one

{{gwi:180560}}
    pumpkin two
    {{gwi:180570}}

• frankielynnsie
    12 years ago

See this link for how to make an earthbox. They look interesting and something I might try next year.

http://www.seattleoil.com/Flyers/Earthbox.pdf

• phyllis__mn
    12 years ago

I've been making my own for about six years, and love them. I have six of them this year, with cukes, peppers and tomatoes. A grandson has made them for a number of years, and has a variety of plants in his. This afternoon, my SIL was picking tomatoes off mine, and was truly impressed...he wants the directions now. Lots of info on line for their construction.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Thanks for the link Frankielynn. I like how he gives may options an encourages you to experiment. I'm now eying all my plastic containers! Good January project.
    Kathy

• beatrice_outdoors
    12 years ago

Can someone help me understand what the advantage of a grow box/earth box is? It looks like a planter with a water reservoir, so to me it means I would not have to water as often. Is there something else I'm missing as to what makes this so good? You still have to put your own soil in, fertilize when needed, etc., yes?

The totes are so big I don't have a table to put them on, so I would still would have to bend a bit. How is this system more advantageous than putting your plant in the ground, and say, gallon jugs of water around your plant with a hole in the bottom for slow drip irrigation?

How is it that no weeds are supposed to grow?

I hope this does not come across as snarky-I really am curious!!

Beatrice

• terrybull
    12 years ago

consistent moisture
    fertilizing one time
    no soil diseases
    no weeds
    portable
    perfect growing conditions for places that are not perfect.
    grow alot in small space.

{{gwi:13111}}