Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shysue

Dish Flowers, Totems, and Mushrooms

shysue
10 years ago

I've been a member of Garden Junk for years, but only now begun making the dish flowers, and totems. I guess Pinterest got in the way. I got addicted to it! So here are the dish flowers I finished. Just click on the pictures for a larger view.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dish Flowers

Comments (14)

• shysue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are the totems.

Here is a link that might be useful: Totems

• shysue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And the mushrooms

{{gwi:181154}}

This post was edited by shysue on Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 16:33

• frankielynnsie
    10 years ago

I wanted to see the dish flowers but it won't open for me. I am working on making some and I wanted to see how you did yours. The totems opened. Can you post a few in your message? Please....

• nanatricia
    10 years ago

Every thing looks great!!!

• cnm1
    10 years ago

Wow - you have been busy. Beautiful!! How are you doing the flower backs?

• nonacook
    10 years ago

Welcome back to garden junk!
    I remember your name.
    I also have been addicted to Pinterest
    and have not been here as much as I used
    to. Since 1999 GJ has usually been my first
    stop of the day.
    Looked at most of your album-loved it- and we
    have done many of the same things over the
    years. Because I can't post photos, and my web
    site host closed down I don't have anything to
    show anymore.
    Great work on the flowers......

• shysue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Frankielynn: I'm sorry you can't see the dish flowers. Here is a photo of three of them for you.

{{gwi:181158}}

Nonacook: Thank you. I remember you too. I am so glad to see so many new people have joined. Garden Junk is a great forum.

Cnm1: I use 3/4" PVC pipe that has been cut into 3" or 5" lengths according to the size of the plate backs. A screw is screwed into one end of the pipe. I use GE Silicone II for Windows and Doors Caulk to glue the pipe to the plate back, let it cure for a day or two, and then slide it over rebar to display in the garden. The screw keeps the rebar from going through the top of the pipe. I was going to use a pipe cap on one end of the pipe, but the screw works just as well and is more frugal.

Pipe pieces

{{gwi:181162}}

Screw

{{gwi:181165}}

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

I love the one with the lizard. Interesting way put the stem on too. What are your mushrooms made from?
    TFS.
    Kathy

• shysue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For concretenprimroses: The mushrooms are supposed to be made with painted wooden bowls, but I couldn't find any at thrift stores or yard sales. Buying new ones would have cost a small fortune, so I found red plastic bowls at Dollar Tree this last Christmas. I cut out vinyl circles with my Silhouette cutting machine for the spots and DH screwed the bowls onto cut pieces of tree limbs that we found in the woods.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

Ohhh would you please post pictures of the bicycle you have there in the background? It looks adorable. Love those colors.
    Great plate flowers and smart idea on the screw!

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

I have some wooden bowls I've been saving to mosaic but i just can't get past the fact that they will be so heavy and I won't be able to use them out doors. Maybe mushrooms are in my future. Thanks shysue!
    Kathy

• shysue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ravencajun,

Here is the bicycle planter you wanted to see.

{{gwi:181172}}

This post was edited by shysue on Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 14:41

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

LOVE IT! That is just adorable. The colors are great.

• suebeee
    10 years ago

Love all the bright colors!