Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlene_kindred

Latest Spider Creation

Marlene Kindred
12 years ago

Well, DH put the finishing touches on his latest spider this morning after the hurricane passed by last night. We use one of our cats for scale in the picture. He's made out of a large ceramic vase for the body, an old metal ladle for his head and a steel ball bearing cut in half.

{{gwi:181274}}

{{gwi:181276}}

Comments (16)

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

Marlene...He is awesome! I really don't want to run into him anytime soon. Good job.

Marylee

• lizzardly
    12 years ago

Looks like he could eat the cat! Look out kitty!

How do you attach the legs to the vase? Is there a collar of some sort involved?

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Holy purple cow....he's one scary dude! You could put him out Halloween if you didn't want Trick or Treaters. LOL.
    Actually he's awesome, just a bit too realistic for me to want to run into without warning.

I love how bored your cat looks!

hugs, Karen

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lizzardly, Glad you like her! There is a pipe fitting sized to match the neck of the vase, split in half, the legs are welded to the bottom, the head to the top half. There's a rubber cushion in between and they are held together by magic.
    --the D.H.

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

That is just to cool!!!! I love it .He is so good.He should try something with a boaling ball

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Very impressive, except apparently to the cat!! Kitty seems totally unimpressed. No catnip or toy to play with so time for a snooze! Neighboring cats may run away! DH did a wonderful job as Mr. spider is very real looking(& huge!) Nice job! Jan

• nonacook
    12 years ago

Love the spider!!!
    More than the cat does, I guess---

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

wonderful!
    Are they all big? I was thinking smaller ones would be very cool too.
    Beautiful kitty.
    Kathy

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all for the compliments! DH makes all sizes of spiders...the ones he has on Etsy are much smaller only about 15 inches from tip to tip of the legs. This one is bigger to accommodate the vase.

Ziggy...the cat, is so tame he doesn't care what we do around him. He would go home with anyone and is always in the middle of whatever we're doing. He'd been watching this spider be made, so he's definitely not afraid or impressed. ;-)

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

I swear I have his brother in my basement ...eeewwww
    I love your spider ! Your DH sure is talented :)

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

How do I find you on Etsy? Did I miss a post about that?
    hugs, Karen

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    12 years ago

DH's Etsy account is Garden Friends and I think if you type in garden spider, he will pop up. He's jkindred.

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Ohhhh...I'm glad my name isn't 'Little Miss Muffet!'
    Yowzers! He's one scary dude! ... but so original & unique! Congrats...to DH...good job!
    TFS! Jeanne S.

• tracey_nj6
    12 years ago

Awesome!

• diggery
    12 years ago

Ohhh, so I so want that spider!
    No - I NEED that spider *smile*
    You cat looks exactly like my
    baby we lost a couple months ago
    at the age of 13. *sniff* Her name
    was 'Little Miss Muffet' and she
    RULED this household.

Wish I could find someone in this
    neck 'o the woods half as talented
    as your hubs. I would commision him
    to make me one in her honor.

TFS, made my day...bittersweet memories.

blessings,
    ~digger

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

I have been so tempted to buy one of John's spiders but I can't decide which one I like the best! Yikes! This one is a real beauty. I just love his wonderful creations.

It is funny how Ziggy looks so calm. It would be even more hilarious if the spider was behind him as if it were catching him unaware. I could almost hear the music from Jaws playing in the background. lol