Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Latest Spider Creation

Posted by marlene_2008 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 28, 11 at 16:14

Well, DH put the finishing touches on his latest spider this morning after the hurricane passed by last night. We use one of our cats for scale in the picture. He's made out of a large ceramic vase for the body, an old metal ladle for his head and a steel ball bearing cut in half.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Latest Spider Creation

Marlene...He is awesome! I really don't want to run into him anytime soon. Good job.

Marylee

o

Looks like he could eat the cat! Look out kitty!

How do you attach the legs to the vase? Is there a collar of some sort involved?

o

Holy purple cow....he's one scary dude! You could put him out Halloween if you didn't want Trick or Treaters. LOL.
Actually he's awesome, just a bit too realistic for me to want to run into without warning.

I love how bored your cat looks!

hugs, Karen

o

lizzardly, Glad you like her! There is a pipe fitting sized to match the neck of the vase, split in half, the legs are welded to the bottom, the head to the top half. There's a rubber cushion in between and they are held together by magic.
--the D.H.

o

That is just to cool!!!! I love it .He is so good.He should try something with a boaling ball

o

Very impressive, except apparently to the cat!! Kitty seems totally unimpressed. No catnip or toy to play with so time for a snooze! Neighboring cats may run away! DH did a wonderful job as Mr. spider is very real looking(& huge!) Nice job! Jan

o

Love the spider!!!
More than the cat does, I guess---

o

wonderful!
Are they all big? I was thinking smaller ones would be very cool too.
Beautiful kitty.
Kathy

o

Thanks all for the compliments! DH makes all sizes of spiders...the ones he has on Etsy are much smaller only about 15 inches from tip to tip of the legs. This one is bigger to accommodate the vase.

Ziggy...the cat, is so tame he doesn't care what we do around him. He would go home with anyone and is always in the middle of whatever we're doing. He'd been watching this spider be made, so he's definitely not afraid or impressed. ;-)

o

I swear I have his brother in my basement ...eeewwww
I love your spider ! Your DH sure is talented :)

o

How do I find you on Etsy? Did I miss a post about that?
hugs, Karen

o

DH's Etsy account is Garden Friends and I think if you type in garden spider, he will pop up. He's jkindred.

o

Ohhhh...I'm glad my name isn't 'Little Miss Muffet!'
Yowzers! He's one scary dude! ... but so original & unique! Congrats...to DH...good job!
TFS! Jeanne S.

o

Awesome!

o

Ohhh, so I so want that spider!
No - I NEED that spider *smile*
You cat looks exactly like my
baby we lost a couple months ago
at the age of 13. *sniff* Her name
was 'Little Miss Muffet' and she
RULED this household.

Wish I could find someone in this
neck 'o the woods half as talented
as your hubs. I would commision him
to make me one in her honor.

TFS, made my day...bittersweet memories.

blessings,
~digger

o

I have been so tempted to buy one of John's spiders but I can't decide which one I like the best! Yikes! This one is a real beauty. I just love his wonderful creations.

It is funny how Ziggy looks so calm. It would be even more hilarious if the spider was behind him as if it were catching him unaware. I could almost hear the music from Jaws playing in the background. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here