Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cadillactaste

My fairy garden...

cadillactaste
11 years ago

I made this back in July 2011. My friend had made one prior, which I had commented that I thought it cute. So while my son and husband were away on a mission trip. She took me to Amish Country where they had a shop with fairy garden items to make up your own or ones already done up. I fell in love with the bird planter with the Angel Ivy already in it. So I went with the "bird" theme and went from there.

While creating my fairy garden there...I had assembled it on the counter. Next thing I know another customer comes over and grabs my planter and goes to take it right out from under me! As she slid it closer to her on the counter. I was like..."EXCUUUUSSSE MEEEE!?! [but in a soft voice]" She was like..."I just LOVE this fairy garden!" I was like..."Well, thank you. So do I, thus why I assembled it to get a visual before taking it home." She was like..."Ohhhh you don't work here then." I was like..."Nope, sorry I don't this one I just made up for myself."

{{gwi:181394}}

I love how the ivy drapes down over the planter.

{{gwi:181395}}

I got a faux tree at a craft store along with some purple flowers and just cut off the blooms and stuck them in the ground for some more color came later. I wanted a bonsai tree but the care for one didn't allow me to disrupt my ivy roots by removing a buried pot to soak the tree. This was the next best thing.

Comments (14)

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

Welcome to the forum Cadillactaste!! We love fairy gardens here and yours is especially nice. Love the bonsai tree and the little chair with the faux flowers, but I especially like the container! Is it made of stone or concrete? Really cute. Thanks so much for sharing it with us and I hope you'll share more of your projects with us too.

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Marlene for your kind words. I was extremely pleased with how it turned out. Surprised because in my head I envisioned something completely different when I headed out that day to put together or purchase a fairy garden.

The little chair is actually a garden gate that I hung a bird house from.

As to the container. That was what "sold me" on making my very own fairy garden. I just HAD to have it. What it's made from...I almost think it is a type of pottery with a stone distressed finish.

We're trying to plan another Amish Country trip. I so would love to do an outdoor fairy garden. Though I wonder if it's to late in the year to really plan one. Or if one just brings it inside...since I'm leaning toward some sort of container style.

• luvs2click
    11 years ago

Love it! Is the store by any chance called "Country Gatherings" in Berlin, OH?

Arlene

• sunnyca_gw
    11 years ago

No wonder the lady wanted it!! Very nice & love the fairy & birdhouse with gate. The container is so natural looking. TFS Jan

• laurastheme
    11 years ago

I love it!! I've never made a fairy garden, but this is inspiring me to try one.

• nonacook
    11 years ago

Glad you found us so we can see the wonderful
    creation you made!
    I just read your member page--so glad you posted
    a paragraph there! Most people don't. I love it
    when they do.
    Come back often!

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Recently added this bird bath...just realized that I didn't post a current photo from photobucket.

{{gwi:181408}}

Arlene it very possibly was that store...that was where we went shopping.

Thanks Jan, I wasn't rude to the woman who tried to take it...because I took it as a compliment!

Laurastheme I say GO FOR IT! It was quite fun putting this together. Again totally in the opposite direction as I had pictured in my minds eye.

• toomuchglass
    11 years ago

I'm just amazed everytime I see one of the gardens.

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

I LOVE the birdbath! So cool! And I have no idea why I thought that was a chair...it plainly has a birdhouse hanging from it...oh well, yesterday was a very long day.

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Oh this is very cool! You chose just the right accessories for it! No wonder that lady slid it her way! I love the container & the ivy plant, too! Jeanne S.

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marlene we've all had days like that...I call it a garden gate, but it very likely is also a trellis. lol To each person's vision I reckon.

Jeanne, thanks! The ivy at first looked centered and draped the entire planter. But I was easily able to pull it back to one side. The container is what sold me on it. I am an avid bird watcher...and have bird accessories around the house. So this was just so fitting for my decor.

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Well, now that I do bonsai...having a plastic tree in my fairy garden has been bugging me. So, I tossed in this double blooming bougainvillea "Cherry Blossom" it's on the verge of blooming. How exciting!

The anticipated bloom...the soft colors of the bracts are lovely.

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks sunny-gw...one never knows until the bracts start to develop if a tree is tagged correctly. I've a few bougainvillea bonsai. One tagged the wrong color...so I was holding my breath hoping this one showed true form and double blooms. Since they are called paper flowers...I tucked this away in the greenhouse last night with the storm about to roll through. I don't want to lose those blooms until they are at the final peak of their showing. These are to stay longer on the tree than typical bracts. So that's also exciting.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio