Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cnm1

garden lady

cnm1
10 years ago

This has been a rough year for me medically including a pelvic fracture. I have been mostly lurking. I am finally back at work full time now and doing some garden projects. I have been wanting to make an ironing board lady for some time. She is based on the great work of junk artist Jim Shores

Comments (25)

• KathyWI
    10 years ago

Very Cute!

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

AWESOME!!!!! I think I have figured out all the parts except the hands and I'm stumped as to what you used. I Love her. Thanks for sharing and glad your back and feeling like doing some projects.

• cnm1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Her are arms and legs are a golf ball retriever that I bought for $1 two yrs ago. I did not know what it was but it was cheap, metal and look like hand. The feet are iron shoe molds in roller skates. Her hat is the base of a metal lazy susan with the coffee basket glued on. Her earrings are lead crystals from a lamp. Her eyes are door knobs. The shoulders are the top of the coffee basket cut in ý. I had much bigger shoulder in my plans but they turned into a nightmare and I gave up. Her sunglasses are from my mom (40âÂÂs). Her ring is my Aries ring from high school. Her boobs are jello molds. Her ears are part of some curtain tie backs

• becky_ia
    10 years ago

OMG this is darling! What a great addition she would be to a junk planter contest!

• annedickinson
    10 years ago

Now that is adorable!!! Good job.

• laurastheme
    10 years ago

She's fantastic!!!! I bought a small ironing board a few years ago to use for an angel. Never did get it done. Finally gave the ironing board away. Can you believe that??!!!
    Laura

• jlily
    10 years ago

What an amazing first project after your medical leave. I can see your artistic talents had been stored up during that time. What a clever use of individual parts. She is adorable! TYFS Jlily

• tinfoilhat
    10 years ago

Great job and thanks for bringing Jim Shores to mt attention.

• mommyandme2
    10 years ago

What a riot ! There is a broken down , but very heavy ironing board in my late sister's house in CT. Too far away for me, since I'm in TX, but I wonder if my 2 dtrs who are back in CT would find a project like this fun. I'm going to forward the link to them ! I' still battling a very bad case of sciatica & haven't gotten anything done here.

• shysue
    10 years ago

She makes me smile! You have a great imagination to come up with such a unique piece.

• cnm1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all the positive feedback. This is my biggest most "out there" project. She makes me smile too. It is hard to tell in the photo but her eyelashes are from children's aluminum play forks (mine as a child). Again I have to give credit to Jim Shores for the idea
    http://www.jimshoresart.com/

• sunnyca_gw
    10 years ago

Very unique!! Fun conversation piece for your yard!! Glad you are feeling better & hope it's smooth going from now on! Jan

• nanatricia
    10 years ago

That lady is just so so cute!!!!! Love it!!

• Marlene Kindred
    10 years ago

Somehow I missed your post before, but your Garden Lady is AWESOME!! What a great use for an old ironing board! She looks very happy there in your yard!

• rosiew
    10 years ago

Clever clever clever. I love her! How did you mount her to the umbrella base? And attach the arms and legs? I'd love to do a rendition of this in my veggie patch.

Stay well!

Rosie

• cnm1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rosie
    TO mount her to the umbrella stand, I used one of the ironing board legs and screwed it to the ironing board. The legs are attached just by screws. I originally thought I would use the ironing board legs for her legs and feet but they were different sizes.
    Here is a picture of her back.

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Omg,that is tooooooooooooo cute.You have a good imagination.
    TFS
    Kathi

• rosiew
    10 years ago

Thanks for the back view - and a view of that wonderful shop area. I've saved your lady in my favorites, of course, and will be keeping my eyes open at garage sales. She's such a hoot!

Regretting tossing many 'little' things.

Sigh, Rosie

• nonacook
    10 years ago

Like Laura, I have had 2 sizes to make angels
    and have never done it. I can't make myself get
    rid of them, and just bought some metla mesh
    to make the wings a month or so ago. Now we
    will see how long it take me to put it together!!
    Your lady is a very good one for the garden...
    I have always liked Jim Shores work!

• rosiew
    10 years ago

I see a short road trip in my future. Visited Jim Shore's website, see he's in Rome, GA - great news. I'm in Sugar Hill, GA. Anyone nearby who'd like to go up there just let me know.

• cnm1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rosie
    I am so jealous. I would love to join you - but I am in NE Ohio:(
    Louise

• rosiew
    10 years ago

That's an easy day's drive. Come!! Stay with me in my simple home, rest up, then we'll drive over to Rome.

• threekittens_ia
    10 years ago

So cute!

• cnm1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

In my younger years, (less than 50!!), I could have done that type of drive. I can't drive long distances any more and plan to stand up straight afterward!!! I am hoping after I get my knees replaced in the next few yrs I can go on road trips again.

• rosiew
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear this. I have no discernible disabilities, unless old age is counted. Wish you didn't have to put off the knee replacements. They are totally amazing. One gal I know had it done bilaterally. That probably lengthened rehab, but I don't know for sure.

The offer is open-ended!
    Rosie