Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garden lady

Posted by cnm1 6 Oh (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 17:38

This has been a rough year for me medically including a pelvic fracture. I have been mostly lurking. I am finally back at work full time now and doing some garden projects. I have been wanting to make an ironing board lady for some time. She is based on the great work of junk artist Jim Shores

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garden lady

Very Cute!

o

AWESOME!!!!! I think I have figured out all the parts except the hands and I'm stumped as to what you used. I Love her. Thanks for sharing and glad your back and feeling like doing some projects.

o

• Posted by cnm1 6 Oh (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 19:52

Her are arms and legs are a golf ball retriever that I bought for $1 two yrs ago. I did not know what it was but it was cheap, metal and look like hand. The feet are iron shoe molds in roller skates. Her hat is the base of a metal lazy susan with the coffee basket glued on. Her earrings are lead crystals from a lamp. Her eyes are door knobs. The shoulders are the top of the coffee basket cut in ½. I had much bigger shoulder in my plans but they turned into a nightmare and I gave up. Her sunglasses are from my mom (40’s). Her ring is my Aries ring from high school. Her boobs are jello molds. Her ears are part of some curtain tie backs

o

OMG this is darling! What a great addition she would be to a junk planter contest!

o

Now that is adorable!!! Good job.

o

She's fantastic!!!! I bought a small ironing board a few years ago to use for an angel. Never did get it done. Finally gave the ironing board away. Can you believe that??!!!
Laura

o

What an amazing first project after your medical leave. I can see your artistic talents had been stored up during that time. What a clever use of individual parts. She is adorable! TYFS Jlily

o

Great job and thanks for bringing Jim Shores to mt attention.

o

What a riot ! There is a broken down , but very heavy ironing board in my late sister's house in CT. Too far away for me, since I'm in TX, but I wonder if my 2 dtrs who are back in CT would find a project like this fun. I'm going to forward the link to them ! I' still battling a very bad case of sciatica & haven't gotten anything done here.

o

She makes me smile! You have a great imagination to come up with such a unique piece.

o

Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 14:19

Thank you for all the positive feedback. This is my biggest most "out there" project. She makes me smile too. It is hard to tell in the photo but her eyelashes are from children's aluminum play forks (mine as a child). Again I have to give credit to Jim Shores for the idea
http://www.jimshoresart.com/

o

Very unique!! Fun conversation piece for your yard!! Glad you are feeling better & hope it's smooth going from now on! Jan

o

That lady is just so so cute!!!!! Love it!!

o

Somehow I missed your post before, but your Garden Lady is AWESOME!! What a great use for an old ironing board! She looks very happy there in your yard!

o

Clever clever clever. I love her! How did you mount her to the umbrella base? And attach the arms and legs? I'd love to do a rendition of this in my veggie patch.

Stay well!

Rosie

o

Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 21:35

Rosie
TO mount her to the umbrella stand, I used one of the ironing board legs and screwed it to the ironing board. The legs are attached just by screws. I originally thought I would use the ironing board legs for her legs and feet but they were different sizes.
Here is a picture of her back.

o

Omg,that is tooooooooooooo cute.You have a good imagination.
TFS
Kathi

o

Thanks for the back view - and a view of that wonderful shop area. I've saved your lady in my favorites, of course, and will be keeping my eyes open at garage sales. She's such a hoot!

Regretting tossing many 'little' things.

Sigh, Rosie

o

Like Laura, I have had 2 sizes to make angels
and have never done it. I can't make myself get
rid of them, and just bought some metla mesh
to make the wings a month or so ago. Now we
will see how long it take me to put it together!!
Your lady is a very good one for the garden...
I have always liked Jim Shores work!

o

I see a short road trip in my future. Visited Jim Shore's website, see he's in Rome, GA - great news. I'm in Sugar Hill, GA. Anyone nearby who'd like to go up there just let me know.

o

Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 9:22

Rosie
I am so jealous. I would love to join you - but I am in NE Ohio:(
Louise

o

That's an easy day's drive. Come!! Stay with me in my simple home, rest up, then we'll drive over to Rome.

o

So cute!

o

Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 18:40

In my younger years, (less than 50!!), I could have done that type of drive. I can't drive long distances any more and plan to stand up straight afterward!!! I am hoping after I get my knees replaced in the next few yrs I can go on road trips again.

o

Sorry to hear this. I have no discernible disabilities, unless old age is counted. Wish you didn't have to put off the knee replacements. They are totally amazing. One gal I know had it done bilaterally. That probably lengthened rehab, but I don't know for sure.

The offer is open-ended!
Rosie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here