Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanagrandma_gw

Need Instructions for Pot Man or Woman

nanagrandma
12 years ago

I know someone must have this info, I looked in Inspiration Album and I saw one but how do you make it. If I remember correctly someone gave detailed instructions. Help Anyone

Nanagrandma

Comments (9)

• lizzardly
    12 years ago

I put a link to the directions I have bookmarked for when I finally have enough terracotta pots to put mine together below.
    I think this site belongs to someone on the hypertufa forum. It's one of many I have marked for "one of these days" projects.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pot people directions

• luvs2click
    12 years ago

The above link is what I used to construct the one I made a few years ago. After making him, I vowed "never again"! I sold it at a garden fair. I always thought I'd like a life-sized one sitting on a bench in my garden. Maybe someday I'll get ambitious again. Here he is in all his glory.

{{gwi:154065}}

• nanagrandma
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Lizzardly for the instructions I have a bunch of pots because I am trying to make it easier for upkeep around here too many potted plants a lot of work and upkeep. Instructions look easy enuf,
    BUT lUVS2CLICK give me the hard facts why never again. BTW Your potman looks terrific and I like the idea of the spider plant for his hair but I think I'll not plant anything just decorate with hat. Hope this makes it easier.
    Nanagrandma/Sylvia

• luvs2click
    12 years ago

It was just pretty difficult and time consuming to get in between each pot and tie a knot in the rope. Then it was very interesting to move around - really floppy. I had to put him in my car and transport him to a garden fair, then get him back out, then help the person who bought him get him to their car. You have to tie the rope really tight (when putting the body together and head on)to hold it together and rope has a tendancy to stretch later too. I believe that was a perennial variety of grass I planted in his head. Hubby had to drill some holes in the sides of the pots for the arms and legs to attach - used a diamond bit in his drill.

• luvidaho_2010
    12 years ago

I made a couple small pot people this summer. I used orchid pots for the body and head. Orchid pots have holes already in the pot so I didn't have to drill holes. I tried to use rope for the arms and legs but that was a real pain in the neck so I used fencing wire. Not sure what gauge it is, maybe 20. I used washers at the end of the wire to keep the wire from slipping through the drainage holes.

I also used wire to hold the body and head together. That was a bit harder, it was difficult to get the wire tight enough to keep everything together. The body on the smaller one just wouldn't stay together so I put a small amount of liquid nails on the back to hold it together and that has worked great. {{gwi:182308}}

{{gwi:182309}}

• nanagrandma
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thx Lizzardly and Luvidaho for info especially tips. I can see the more pots you use for arms and legs the more difficult. Liquid nails is good tip and also wire and washers. Well I will be asking my DH to help me out on this project, hope we can do it!! Most important once I find a spot for him have to make sure I don't move him around, LOL

• lizzardly
    12 years ago

Post pics of your final guy. I want one to sit on the wooden slab bench under the oak tree- I'll get to it one day. But, not any time soon it's too darn hot to even think outside.

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

NanaG, there are half dozen on this page in our Misc Inspiration album (and one pot guy on the first or second page)

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: pot people in Misc album

• lizzardly
    12 years ago

I was just thinking about this and the problem with tying the knots in the right places. What if you cut peices of pvc pipe to use as spacers and ran one continuous peice of rope or wire or even all thread with nuts at the bottom to and the top. That would make the limb a little less floppy and easier to space the pots more consistently.
    I might have to move this further up the to do list. I was planning something more involved, but I'm thinking I may have to hold off until things cool down outside and now there's another storm that could maybe, have a remote possibility of becoming a hurricane that could possibly maybe head our way so DH is strongly encouraging me to not have a large project underway.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus