Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threekittens_ia

Old door potting table?

threekittens_ia
10 years ago

Hi all. Long time no post. ;)

What's your expert opinions of this combination?

I've had this old door and table/desk out in my shed. Thinking of taking the rest of the veneer off the table and either painting the top or maybe put another layer of tongue/groove barn boards on top. Then also put some boards across the rungs on the bottom to create a shelf. And lastly, attach the dog crate divider behind the door window opening so things could be hung on it. Would it last several years outside? Would it be best to paint the whole thing? The door is as I bought it. Looks like it used to be painted and someone started to strip it.

Guessing the door would be unusable most of the time due to humidity. Like it would be stuck shut.

Lori

Comments (12)

• cnm1
    10 years ago

I think that is a great idea!! Paint would make the whole thing last longer or an exterior poly. Great door!!!

• nonacook
    10 years ago

I can see the 'bones' of a GREAT potting table!

• diggery
    10 years ago

Oh yeah, just do it! Paint the table or not, depending on your taste but do.not.touch that door except for a clear coat of exterior poly.

Good eye ya got there. Have fun & be sure to post 'after' pics.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

I agree don't paint that door it is fabulous as is just seal it. But I have to say if that door was mine I would make a fabulous hall tree and bench from it and put a mirror in the opening, put old crystal door knobs on each side of the mirror for hanging hats, scarves etc. I believe the door deserves to be a centerpiece indoors, check out some of these.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hall tree from old door

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

Just an idea.

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

I agree on the hall tree idea IF you have room. Those are really cool. I like the finish of the door too and think it only needs sealing real good. It's lovely the way it is.

• Marlene Kindred
    10 years ago

What a wonderful assortment of finds!! LOVE the idea of a potting bench, but the hall trees are pretty cool too. Please post a picture of your finished creation too!

• threekittens_ia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Agree the hall trees are cool. But already have a matching antique oak hall bench and mirror in my front entry. And no room for it inside the side door. The door really is rather rough since someone stripped it before I got it. I think I bought it at a Habitat Restore several years ago. I was going to use it on my barn board garden shed we built but of course it was missing the glass so that was a bit of a problem. And then found a different (although not as cool) door with frame for $10 and used it instead.
    Its too darn hot here to work on anything right now! Maybe this weekend.

Lori

• a.girl.named.max
    10 years ago

I vote for distressed potting table. Love it!

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

Those of you with wooden "junk" potting tables. Do you leave them outdooors? I just saw a free door yesterday, but we just don't have anywhere to store anything until we build our new garage next year.
    Kathy

• threekittens_ia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We got this put together last weekend. Turns out the door was splitting on the one side towards the bottom of the window opening. DH reinforced with some screws on the backside. Put some old barn lap siding on the table top back side up. I might do a rustic paint on the whole thing yet. Haven't really decided. And the boards on the bottom are just going to sit there not be attached so I can set something under instead. Haven't put the dog crate thing behind the window yet. Also might add a small shelf 1/2 way down the window opening.

• gammagirl
    10 years ago

I love this. The look of the dark, aged wood in that setting is so beautiful. Cup hooks hanging from the top of the "window" could be a fun addition for hanging tools or decorations.