Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leaveswave

My tree laid an egg!

leaveswave
16 years ago

I couldn't believe this! I went outside the other evening and apparently my tree has been gestating without my even knowing it and it finally laid this darling tree egg!

We've had some rain recently; I wonder if it will hatch soon...

Image link: {{!gwi}}

Comments (19)

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

HA, HA, HA, Good one!

• leaveswave
    Original Author
    16 years ago

BTW, that's an Aldo Leopold bench in the background of one pic, built by my Labor Pool earlier this summer.

• amesly
    16 years ago

I thought that's what that bench was! I was going to build one, but I read somewhere that they were really uncomfortable... is that true?
    Amy

• leaveswave
    Original Author
    16 years ago

amesly, I think it all depends on the proportions and preferences of the sitter. We made the seat 10 inches deep rather than the 8 inches called for. I'm a little over 5' tall and my Labor Pool almost 6, and we both find it fine for us. I wouldn't sit on any bench anywhere for hours and hours though.

• cait1
    16 years ago

Thanks for the laugh! But ... um... did you make it? It's really cool. It'll be fun watching it roll around the garden on those windy days!
    Cait

• leaveswave
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I keep thinking about 'finding' another 1 or 2 to keep it company. My aching arms and the time involved are so far persuading my not to.

Has anyone seen similar pics on the 'net? Not those small grapevine balls, we're talking BIG ones here. I found some once but can't seem to find it again.

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

That's the best tree egg I've ever seen:) Let us know if you're gonna need a pink or a blue layette:)

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

Too funny!

~Sandy~

• leaveswave
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kudzukween, oh, well, I think green, don't you? ;-)

Cait, it's pretty heavy actually, and being near momma/tree helps provide a wind break. It's from the leftovers of this project:

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree Egg's Real Momma

• katladie
    16 years ago

Really neat, what kind of vines did you use and what is that pretty tree, at least the trunk is pretty. Did you weave it around a form or freehand.? Your place looks great, how about a guided tour one day via the web.

Sharon

• leaveswave
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Grapevines. I made three interlocking circles of the vine and lashed them together to make a sphere (divided into six sections, if you can visualize that). Then I just started winding and weaving.

It's an elm, a messy, not-so-attractive tree (IMO), but it was here when we moved in and would cost a bundle to take down.

• nestmaster
    16 years ago

I've got to prune a cherry and a pear tree this fall. I'll try using the smaller branches in a ball! I've got enough hot dog sticks for an army now. I also cut up some pruned sticks in 4" sections, drill a couple of holes in them and use them for climb out ladders on this inside of birdhouse doors - some birds (Tree and Violet-green swallows) can get in some birdhouses and not get back out without something to get a grip on.

• jeanr_2007
    16 years ago

Very cool "egg!" You could sure sell a lot of them at a craft fair, I'll bet.

• leaveswave
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Naw, I'm so busy I'd have to make money on it to be willing to make them for others. Gas money + driving time to where I can harvest 'em + time harvesting and trimming + time weaving + cost of painkillers for next two days = $200. At least. No one would pay that for it, and I would rather put my resources towards other things for anything less.

• cait1
    16 years ago

Well that is just FANTASTIC!! I did a day craft class on weaving (we used grapevines, too) and made myself a little basket. Had a great time but it really is labor intensive! You have a lot of patience! ;-)
    Really love the gazebo and your garden is so colorful! You're a true artist!
    Cait

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

That "egg" is just fantastic. We ripped out a whole section of unwanted grapevines this year . I'm sure they'll be back . Maybe I can make BABY eggs ! LOL
    Did you wrap them when they were still alive and bendy ? - or wait till they were dead ?

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

Very funny! I was wondering what you were up to when I read the subject line. It is very cool. I wonder how it would look with a vine growing over it.

• leaveswave
    Original Author
    16 years ago

toomuchglass, yes, they are freshly harvested. the well-dead ones are too brittle. My Labor Pool did the gazebo roof weaving because it involved Heights. When he couldn't work on it for a few days we stored the vines in my rain barrels to keep them pliable.

• cindee11461
    16 years ago

What a great egg(-: If it hatches hopefully it will be more of the same(-: LOL

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner